Is this another Republican for Obama?

yes.. and I think one more will come out this weekend. can't wait.

The ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee parted ways with his party's presidential nominee Wednesday by endorsing Democrat Barack Obama's approach to diplomacy.

In a lengthy speech at the National Defense University, Indiana Sen. Richard G. Lugar weighed the benefits of talking to foreign leaders, including U.S. enemies, against other actions, such as military force. The issue marks one of the sharpest divides between Obama and John McCain, who has called the Democratic nominee naive for suggesting that he would sit down with leaders such as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 1:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I know plenty of Republicans that are crossing lines and voting for Obama this year. Including my die-hard Republican neighbors..

The polls are not very accurate and it really depends where one lives, what one is going to see more of.

I've noticed that many Republicans are going towards Obama OR like my parents, will not vote this year, which in essence, it's votes for Obama, since they would have voted for McCain.
    GOBryan

Answer by GOBryan at 8:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Lugar, however, praised Obama, noting that isolation often does not resolve contentious issues.

"He correctly cautions against the implication that hostile nations must be dealt with almost exclusively through isolation or military force," Lugar said in a prepared remarks released before his speech. "In some cases, refusing to talk can even be dangerous."

Lugar, however, said McCain is right to warn that "there are times when diplomatic approaches to rogue regimes have little efficacy." But he cited North Korea, which was just removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terror, as a diplomatic success story and urged more contact with Syria and Iran
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• This is not the first time Lugar and Obama have seen eye-to-eye on foreign policy issues. Lugar noted back in July that he was "pleased" to have worked with Obama on nuclear proliferation issues after an Obama ad ran mentioning Lugar by name.

Lugar also used his speech to underscore his concern that U.S. foreign policy has become too reactive.

"If most U.S. foreign policy attention is devoted to crises fomented by hostile regimes, we are ceding the initiative to our enemies and reducing our capacity to lead the world in ways that are more likely to affect our future," Lugar said.
    ny.chica

• HONESTLY! I'm tired of watching the news about the Presidential Race. I just want them to get it over with and elect Obama as president already!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Wow--another Republican for Obama. He didn't endorse him, he endorsed a RINO approach to foreign policy that he has espoused for years.

You know there are approximately 1 million Democratic PUMAs who are voting for McCain right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• anon 2:35 The ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee parted ways with his party's presidential nominee Wednesday by endorsing Democrat Barack Obama's approach to diplomacy.

alot of epublicans are crossing party lines
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 3:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• More Dems are crossing party lines than Republicans...Hence the reason a political survey can be taken with 800+ Dems and 600+ Reps and Obama is only in the lead by 1-2% (that is within the margin of error)
    I could care less if some RINO has lost his mind. Good riddance. He has exposed himself for the liberal that he truly is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Big Deal. I see you have way too much time on your hands these days with all this tv watching and computer research. If you had a full time job and paid taxes you would be against Obama. get a life sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

EXCUSE ME?? I work full time and I pay ALOT of freaking taxes and I am voting for Obama. Its easy to be rude anonymously, isn't it?
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 12:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• anon 11:44 so now you want to control how I spend my time? yeah must be a republican. I'm retired and worked since I was 16. nad still pay taxes as does my husband. I work part time because I feel like it. because my wonderful husband works hard and pay taxes so that I can be home for my children. don't be so bitter because you don't have the same opportunities. or maybe you do and are just a hypocryte. I have a life you obviously don't.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2008