Do you need an ID for a child you are flying with?

We are going to Florida from California next month, with my 4 year old daughter... do I need to bring her birth certificvate, or should I do it anyway, as a safety thing (in case we get seperated or something)?

MiasMama123

Asked by MiasMama123 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Travel

• While it's not required for young children, as most airlines realize not everyone is instantly born with a state issued ID, it IS advisable for you to carry a COPY of the birth certificate along with a family photo, and an individual photo. If at all possible, get a state issued ID through the DMV before traveling. My daughter goes out of state with her grandparents often to visit cousins, etc., and I send her medical card, and school ID with them, along with a note giving permission for ER medical treatment, if needed. Since you are the parent, you obviously don't need a note! :-) Have a safe and fun trip!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• you should always have that with you when you leave state
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• you can get an pictured ID for your child from the state you live in.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i just carried a copy of the birth certificate. a group/family photo that shows she's your daughter too might help.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 2:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• When I go out of state I bring SS cards and shot records. If I were leaving the country I'd bring birth certificates and of course passports. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• We flew over the summer...they said to have birth certificate..but they didn't check it. I think they are required to say bring it; but depends on what clerk you got.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008