sleep at night

My baby just turn 10 mn, and he still does not sleep through the night. I have other childern that i have to get up in the moring to get them off to school. I am sooo tired through out the day, from breaking my sleep. I need advice on how to make him sleep through the night. He wants to drink when he gets up at night.

babyyapi

Asked by babyyapi at 8:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our son wanted to drink at night. We switched to just water at night and three nights later he was sleeping through the night. Good luck.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 8:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yea, at 10 months he really doesn't need to eat at night. He probably wakes up and needs the bottle to help him get back to sleep. He has to learn to comfort himself to sleep. I would start giving him less and less at night, then switch to water, then just rock him a little with nothing, then let him stay in bed and figure out how to go back to sleep himself. I know it is hard to listen to them cry, but if you don't do it soon he will wake up every night from now on...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time. You can't "make" a child sleep through the night. You, also, NEVER "have to" have a child cry themselves to sleep to have them self soothe. It does happen with time without utilizing sleep training methods. Hang in there, sleep will come very soon.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I suggest you keep him very very active during the day. Of course let him take a nap early but by the time the other children get home from school, have him awake and keep him awake. Make sure he eats and drinks early enough that when he tires, you can give him a bath and a bottle and he should settle down for the night.
    nehi81

Answer by nehi81 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Give him something else to comfort him,thats why he wants the food,its comforting to him, try a security blanket and hopefully it will help calm him
    onewife

Answer by onewife at 10:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I had given cereal then a little bit of milk and my boys would stay asleep through the night. I did have a little bit of problems with my youngest but, found out the smell of lavender makes him sleep so I have a room spray that I spray at night.
    Dariensmom1

Answer by Dariensmom1 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You can TRY all of the above. But the bare bones? He'll sleep longer when he's good and ready. Make sure you dump that which isn't absolutely necessary on days when you're too tired.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sounds like sleep association to me... im a first time mom & did a ton of research about healthy sleep habits, ferber method, etc.... Is he napping well during the day? Do you have a nighttime routine? google: baby sleep site.... it helped me a ton. Both of my twins have been sleeping through the night since 4 months :) Best of luck mamma!
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 1:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am not a first time mom i have 7 yr old twins. They slept through the night at 4 mn. However this one is giving me a run for my money. Started to walk one week before he turn 8 mn. Prefures a sippy cup then bottle wants bottle at night only. He has a temper on him. Even in my womb he was up most of the time, even as a newborn. He is full of energy, he takes to short naps one at 10 am for 15 min and one at 230 for 30 min and he is going strong till 930 some times 10 for bed. He wakes up at 1 am and 4 am. The other kids get up at 6 am. He is very active and dont sit still long for anything.
    babyyapi

Comment by babyyapi (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010