Sometimes,at least twice a week,I have shortness of breath..why?

I'm not exercising ,when this happens.Iam standing or doing chores.I have high blood pressure.I suppose this is one of it's symptoms?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 1:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Health

• Definately. It can also happen upon standing, or sudden movement. At that point, I would strongly suggest you sit down and rest. Let your Dr. know, if you are not on meds, you might need to be.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Hypertension and Shortness of Breath can be related to Pulmonary Hypertension. Since I don't knnow your medical history and if you other factors included I couldn't really say why you have Shortness of Breath.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• that happens to me too, when i'm walking or exercising or doing chores, but i use to have high blood pressure during pregnancy, it can mean that or overweight or both.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I just started taking medications.She first started me on 20mg. a day,then added another 6.9 mg.--which I don't know what that means because,it says other numbers like5mg/320mg?At first the 20 wasn't working,so she up'd it.I'm over weight and been a sahm for 7 yrs. I know the sahm lifestyle has caused me to not be as active and has caused me to gain weight.But,I won't blame it on that entirely.We've been struggling in our finnances for years and the lack of money and eating proper foods,has kept me home most times.Also I have a illness that is preventing me from being really active,which I need to loose weight.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I know the high blood pressure is caused from not getting enough exercise.During the summer I was home bound because of my illness,I barely went out for walks.This I know,did it to me,along with weight gain.I certainly considered high blood pressure to be something old people get,I didn't know it was related to weight gain or if semi-young people could get it.People talk alot about heart disease,breast cancer and loosing weight,but rarely do I hear about high blood pressure and it's danger's.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If you have HBP and are not doing the things you need to do: cutting down salt,eating more vegetables, eating turkey and chicken instead of beef,getting your heart going with walking, trying to lessen the stress in your life, then its hard to get it down. If you are taking 20 mg of HBP meds then it probably isn't enough if your BP is over 140/80.. i take HBP medicine and eat right, or try too, and try to do the right thing, so it will be around 125/70, and the docs said that was good. So in order to get it down, you have to make a life change,and it will work if you do.
    Anonymous