Speed Bump

My street is full of speeders all times of day and all types of weather. I checked into getting a speedbump put out but because of DOT restrictions its not possible. Can you ladies help me think of other ways to stop the speeding before someone is hurt?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Good Luck! I doubt even a speedbump would slow people down. It actually drives them to be faster. Maybe call your local magistrate in the area and talk with them. See what they suggest. Oh, another suggestion, maybe the police department could put down the speed checkers, that would give them about an idea on how fast people are driving
    MoMofTWOkiddos

Answer by MoMofTWOkiddos at 8:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• call the police station and talk to them about it. Maybe they can have a cop sit there a few times a day to catch speeders. I'm not sure anything will work though...the speed limit on my rd is 25 and I don't think anyone drives less than 40 even though there is usually a cop somewhere off the side of the road during peak hours...it still doesnt seem to stop them.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I hate speedbumps
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 8:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Pot holes...lol
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Maybe you can make a sigh sayin something like " stop speeding before you kill a chid'? Something that would get there attention? I rememmber going down this street once and it had a sigh saying something like, as of year xxxx the amount of people killed on this road is xxxx.

mommycoleyy88

Answer by mommycoleyy88 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I saw a sign in someone's yard yesterday that was big and bright yellow and right near their mailbox, it said, "DRIVE as if YOUR CHILDREN Lived HERE - SLOW DOWN".

It looked like they had it professionally made, it looked like a street sign but had a different shape and a different shade of yellow. I noticed it and it made an impression on me.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We have a problem with speeders on our street, too, but a speed bump is also out of the question for here and the police have better things to do, so basically we just have to put up with it. However, one day after a big storm there were tree branches scattered on the road. People slowed down to go around them. We have woods all along one side of our street, so having branches on the road fairly often is plausible. Not quite a speed bump, but maybe a possibility for you, too?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Unfortantely its going to take deaths and lots of accidents for them to want to do anything about the speeding. Why its like that is far beyond me because you would think that the government and city council would want to ensure safety on side streets. If there are a lot of kids on your street start a petition to get something done before its too late. I live on a side street and its a dead end, and sometimes there are people who "race" up and down it like they are the only people who use it. I fear for my kids safety not only from the speeders but there careless and carefree decisions to chase an object of play thing into the street with out looking for a moving car. You could also ask them to put up signs at least: " children at play ", etc. I hope you find the result you want and need before it is too late!!!!! GL and BW
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I live in Newark, NJ. A sign won't work. Idk. Maybe harsher punishments for speeding. I'm just so afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt. Yesterday during the rain storm there were idiots speeding without their lights on. Cars get sideswiped and hit all the time. Its ridiculous.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I wish I had an answer for you. We have been dealing with this as well. We did petition for speed bumps, they put a counter on our street...we are waiting to hear. I have been doing some research on speed bumps. I found a great article on them at a website from Canada. They use 3d optical illusions of a young girl chashing a ball into the street. It pops into your view at 100 ft. from the girl. They are amazing but, controversial as some feel people will then think all children in the road are illusions and keep going, or break hard, swerve and cause more accidents than they already have to deal with...but it was a very cool idea.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010