How can I control my daughters breastfeeding?

Hey yall! I have a really important question. My daughter Rayne is still breastfeeding, she's 15months old. I wouldn't be so concerned about it if she wouldn't get aggressive with me if I don't let her feed. She starts crying and screaming at me. Everyone I have talked to says not to worry, let her scream, she'll get over it... but if I let her scream she literaly doesn't stop till I give in to her. She is not interested in anything else. During the day she is fine when I'm not around and doesn't even like bottles but as soon as I come through the door all she wants is "boob". It's like I'm a big boob to her and nothing else. Please help... Does anybody have advice???

Megan

xoxo

MeganC1023

Asked by MeganC1023 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yikes... my daughter was 7 1/2 months old when i weaned her off the boob, and it was hard. i took her off cause she had teeth... ouch is all i need to say about that. lol.
    but my duaghter did the same thing. it sucks, but it was the only way i could get her off breastfeeding. my mom helped alot, my daughter slept with her for about 2 nights, and its not easy. if your around, even in another room, your daughter can smell you, and that wont help any, cause she knows what she wants is nearby and she wont take a bottle. having someone help you out with this one will be good, and they should wear a shirt of yours too and try to give your daughter the bottle themselves. giving her only the cuppy by day and then slowly doing it through the night helps alot too. its not going to be easy. so prepare for it. =/ good luck hun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Whoa!!! You just told my story. My Simone is 15 month old and it is the same thing. I have noticed that if I feed her soon after she walks up in the morning, naps, and offer snacks she is ok. Also, sometimes she is just thirsty. I try to keep a sippy cup out while she plays and offer her cow milk if she wants to breast feed. Sometimes she will take it, sometimes no.

Good luck to you.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• if I read it right, she's away from you all day? if so it sounds to me like she's trying to get all of you once you're home to compensate for the time you're away. babies have very little concept of time, and so while it seems to you like you're only away for a few hours, to her it feels like forever.

I would try to have a looong nursing session as soon as you get home. try to head off this need at the pass. she's getting to the point where she might understand some simple reasoning. after she's drank her fill and she's just comfort nursing, tell her gently that momma has some things she needs to do and you can nurse again later.

My son is 17 months and I'm with him all day and he does a lot of "boredom nursing," 1 to 2 minute sessions anytime i sit down. as long as i'm up doing stuff he's fine, but when i sit, he wants me.
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 9:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• First off, it sounds like she is more just wanting to snuggle and attention time. She is young but probably has gotten the idea that if she is nursing, then she has you. Try to spend time with her doing other fun things so that she can see that she can still get that same love and attention witout being attached to the breast. Second, you said she won't stop screaming till you give it to her...thats because she screams long eoungh and you will give it to her. I don't recomend weaning her off by letting her scream, but If you have to do something, take her off the breast and ignore the temper tantrums. I promise you, if you were to stop cold turky, she would not scream the rest of her life, she would eventually stop and move on. But for security sake, try distracting her with other forms of quality time and interaction, as she becomes more secure , she will breast feed less for that need for attention.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2008