To CHRISTIANS who don't believe in sin....

As you can see by the title, this question is directed toward Christians.

Sin is described in the Bible as transgression of the law of God (1 John 3:4) and rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7; Joshua 1:18).
Sin is mentioned 448 times in the Bible. Sinner is mentioned 21 times.
The Bible teaches how we are born sinners through Adam (Romans 5:12), we will be held accountable for our sin (Romans 6:23) , and God offers forgiveness of our sin (I John 2:2).
As a Christian, how can you not believe in sin? I don't understand this belief since the Bible has MUCH to say about sin and sinners
Is it that you don't believe the Bible when it discusses the topic? or is your definition different from that of the Bible?
honestly curious :-)

missionarywifey

Asked by missionarywifey at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think often times people only believe in the bits and pieces they're comfortable with. I don't understand either. It seems like being a believer should be all or nothing, not just bits and pieces. I'm interested in hearing the replies as well. I've always questioned this also.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• whistlingthis should prove interesting..i'll check back later to see how it goes. GL, OP!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree with Ashley people only pick and choose to follow what will be easier for them. Even though I'm Agnostic I've noticed this about a lot of Religions not just Christians. You should get some interesting answers
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 8:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hmmmm.... I'm interested to see what kind of replies you get..... I've never heard anyone say they didn't believe in sin before (well, from Christians)..... I'll check back on this one....
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 9:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm interested in the replies as well! I have seen this mentioned a few times by the Christians here in the answers section, so I had to ask :-)
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am really interested in seeing these answers as well, I am a Christian. But, I do believe in sin. I believe every single one of us sins. No one is perfect. I would be really interested in hearing from anyone that does not believe in sin at all.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It comes down more to interpretation and how one reads the Bible. Not all of us believe the Bible is the literal, infallible word of God, for one.

For me, it comes down to how I understand God and His nature, based on my relationship with Him. For God to truly BE love (as I believe He is), He has to fully encompass all that love entails - unconditionality, selflessness, compassion, etc. The popular concept of sin doesn't fit in with that understanding, IMO, as the idea of God letting anything come between Him and those He loves indicates a selfishness rather than selflessness.

I also see faith as a kind of spiritual cultivation, a sort of tending one's spiritual garden, if you will. Its about the transformative process, the growing to fulfill the potential He has instilled in us all.

So when I read the word sin, it means something different to me than it does to you, and I reject the more popular understanding.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i never understood it either. how can you claim you are christian, believe in [the christian] God, but not believe in the Bible? do people really believe that God would allow his word to go so off course by man's hands, with something as silly as translation? it's HIS word. if there was a problem, He would intervene. there are so many religions out there that pick and choose verses, instead of preaching the WHOLE bible. what's that old saying? something about putting a verse in a box? i don't remember, my grandmother used to do that, in her [not mentioning which] religion, that's what she was taught. that one verse. (and no, i don't remember which. she'd just always go back to that one verse when i brought another one up) then she started reading the Bible herself and learned alot more, and it changed her views. oh...my...goodness... amazing how some studying of the bible will do that to you!!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• hmmm...well I certainly don't plan to argue, or change your mind bandgeek. That is not the intention of my post. I am just trying to get a better understanding of this position. Thank you for your honesty :-)

I do have a question though. You mention as God being love. Do you only think of God as being love? Or do you believe that He is also righteous, just, and holy? We see many examples in the OT where He punished the children of Israel for their sins. These were His chosen people, people He loved and hurt over. BUT, He punished them when they sinned. Do you believe that God's character changed in the NT?

missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• and, how does one who only thinks of God as love, and doesn't punish His children for their sins interpret these verses:

Pro 3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
    Pro 3:12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
    Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
    Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
    Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2010