Kids not getting educated enough in school?

My kids are not super genius. But they are top of the class. And do get bored because teachers are spending way too much time teaching basics that the kids should have learned the years before to others. Or the teachers are just there for the money, not actually earning the pay. What do you do?

Carol936

Asked by Carol936 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in

• Have them tested and maybe have them advanced for more of a challenge

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You can have your children evaluated for giftedness and if they are found to be gifted, they can receive enrichment services at school or be bumped a grade if they are bright enough.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sadly, school standards have been dropped severely in the past 20 yrs to accommodate the 'slower' kids- don't want to single them out from the others. In the 70's an A=96+, anything below a 70 was considered failing. Now it's below 60 is failing.

Have you kids tested and see if they can be moved to a higher grade, or at least take a few classes that are more advanced.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree w/ the previous posters. Ask if your school has the gifted program through Duke university. I have friends w/ gifted children through this program and they love it.
    RosieCheeks64

Answer by RosieCheeks64 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Teacher here: Here is the problem! In a typical classroom you have students that are gifted, average, below average, and even special ed.

A teacher has to teach to ALL of the students and keep her class on track. Think about that for a minute.

Teaching a first grade class where a couple of your students are reading on a 3rd grade level...while a couple others barely know their letters and sounds.

Teaching is a thankless profession, like many others, of course...but people dont understand just how hard it is to do this!

Now with inclusion (add all kids gifted-special ed together in a classroom) AND the no child left behind policies it can be almost impossible!

Now there are teachers who are there just for pay...but even the ones who are dedicated can sometimes seem like they aren't doing a great job b/c well....its hard! lol

Parents need to be an important part of the education process too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree with seeing if they qualify for any sort of gifted program. We did that growing up, and it added the extra challenge we needed. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They teach this way because they are trying to get the highest percentage scores on the standardized test. That is all that seems to be taught anymore. My kids spend most of the year just preparing to take them. In my school district, high school kids can only take 5 credits. Music, Art and Electives have been eliminated. My Junior goes in as a late arrival (8:45), has study hall, 2 classes, lunch and three classes. My Senior goes in at 12:15 and gets out at 1:45. Its crazy....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No kids are NOT getting the education they use to... AT ALL...
    But for mom2twobabes. Its NOT the teachers fault.. Its the system that is terribly flawed & needs to be changed..

If your kids get into a gifted class, pay attention to it.. My nephew was in one & IMO it just seemed like they went a lil faster, expected kids to be more "on the ball" but overall, just gave them more work. More homework. More independend things to do at home.. HE WAS STILL BORED! So advanced classes dont always work..

Parents need to start standing up. going to school boards..and be active in their kids education.. Complaining to the teacher is like preaching to the choir, they know already. they knew before your child was in her class.. but teachers alone cant change everything! The class is not all ran by the teacher how many would think. There are "bigger people" pulling the puppet strings..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mom2twobabes - I do totally understand what you are saying. Parents also need to be in the educational process. I just wish that instead of grouping all the kids in one class, it should be divided into say all the kids still learning sounds, 1 class, all still learning sight words, another. My girls are not GIFTED. Although I have never had them tested, I don't believe they are. Oldest is 12 is very very intelligent but still within her age range, I think. Since she just gets mastery on the standardize test. She is one of the youngest in her class as she just missed the cutoff date to start school. Her middle school is just now able to challenge her and put her in the more advanced classes. Middle schools do this. Grade schools, no. If you are overly gifted they will maybe talk about moving to another grade but what if they aren't overly smart in all classes just reading and math but know nothing about history??
    Carol936

Comment by Carol936 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thank "No Child Left Behind" for most of the problems we are seeing in education now.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 1:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

Next question in
Home schooling ?

Next question overall (Diet & Fitness)
Ate too much the day before?