He doesn't like the word birthday?

So my son is 3. Every year, since his first birthday, he's thrown a fit at the word birthday. His firth birthday (a family party) He cried the entire time the birthday song was sung. Last year, he covered his ears. This year, he shakes his head and says no every time he hears the word birthday. It doesn't have to be his own birthday, any time he hears it, he shakes his head. I took him to a party when he was about 3 mos old, and he cried throu that birthday song too. No other word seems to affect him like this...any ideas?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 9:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Try happy born date; only thing I can come up with close to birthday. Kids all have their own ticks and set offs. I applaud you for being willing to bend to meet his needs!!!! I say this because you are accepting his dislike of this word and are willing to treat him with enough respect and consideration to find a way to make him more comfortable with accepting his b-day; not to mention he will now know that he can rely on you even when things seem petty or trivial that he is reacting to that others seem to have no issues with. He will be a great man someday because because you went out of the box to aid him!!!! GL and BW
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• LOL I am sorry but that is really funny! I have no idea...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 9:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I wonder if it is because often when people sing Happy Birthday they get noisy and yell and don't always sing on key- it is more a let it all hang out time for a few minutes. It is possible that the loud noisy singing disturbed him as a baby, and that he is still upset by a noise that seems out of control- people happily singing and shouting the song- not staying on tune, and so forth. I wonder if he associates the word Happy Birthday with the fear or alarm that he felt when he was very young.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree with Bmat...do you sing to him in general? Is he used to singing? My son was given a baby Pooh and it played lullabyes...he cried everytime it turned on...very strange! It passed as all things do..I doubt your son will be this way forever.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I sang to him a lot as a baby. I can't carry a tune in a bucket tho, so I stopped when he got a little older and started to listen to real music. He loves music, and listening to the radio. He likes other people singing different songs, just not that particular song, or word. I don't get it. I do hope he grows out of it....but until he does, I'd like to be able to say something.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just wait until he reaches 50... haha :-)
    hobbyhorse

Answer by hobbyhorse at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010