How do I get my baby to sleep all night?

My son is 21 months old and still wakes up at least 4 or 5 times every night. He sleeps with me and still needs his bottle. I can not bring myself to just leave him to CRY IT OUT. He has never slept in his crib, and now he would just climb out of it if I even tried to put him in. I don't mind him sleeping with me, but the continuing to wake up is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?

DonnaD40

Asked by DonnaD40 at 2:25 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LIMIT HIS NAPS DURING THE DAY AND PUT HIM ON A SCHEDULE, AT NIGHT GIVE HIM A NICE DINNER AND BATH..AND TAKE THE BOTTLE AWAY IT WILL IF IT HASN'T RUIN YOUR CHILD'S TEETH AND ADULT TEETH..AFTER A NIGHT OR TWO OF CRYING YOUR BABY WILL LEARN TO PUT HIS SELF 2 SLEEP..IF NOT A QUICK BACK RUB
    Mrs.Taylor

Answer by Mrs.Taylor at 2:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• You know what to do. You just aren't willing to do it --yet! When you get sick enough of not sleeping, you'll do what you have to. Eventually your lack of sleep and (your cranky from not getting enough sleep either) kid are going to have enough, you'll put him in his own bed in his own space in the house and tell him to sleep. He will learn at that time and the two of you will sleep 8 peaceful hours every night happily ever after! The co-sleeping and the bottles are obviously not working for you or for him. If they were, more power to co-sleeping and bottles! But, they aren't. You know what to do Mom.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I disagree with the PP. You don't ever have to make your child CIO. The first answer was more reasonable: restrict naps and get him to eat more solids, especially in the evening. Waking up 4 or 5 times per night seems a little extreme at 21 months.

My son is 22 months and still needs milk in the middle of the night due to his high metabolism. I feed him an egg or other protein shortly before bed, then usually some carbohydrates (whole-grain cereal or crackers, fruit, etc.) and milk.

Don't beat yourself up over him still taking a bottle, but try to switch him to a sippy cup soon.

If you like co-sleeping and think it's best for your son, keep doing it. But if you do decide to try to get him in his own bed, you need to make sure he can't climb out. If the mattress is already on its lowest setting (and he can still climb out), you should switch him to a toddler bed so he won't hurt himself!
    Nerdy_Mom

Answer by Nerdy_Mom at 12:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Gradually dilute the bottle each night with more and more water until that's all he is drinking. Then, tell him that the only thing you will give him is water when he wakes up.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008