What is an appropriate age for daughters to start wearing makeup?

My oldest is now 12. Kids are wearing makeup to middle school, some younger than her, and way too much. Is this the usual age and how much is too much? I did let me daughter shave, yep all the way up her legs when she just turned 10. She was in cheerleading and a very hairy child. When she started, all the others did too because she did. She is not a girly girl now though. But since everyone else is doing it.... Did you take them to a beauty shop to show them how to properly do it?

Carol936

Asked by Carol936 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think 12. I let my DD wear a little light pink eyeshadow and powder.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• around 12 or 13, & I would show her myself, because sometimes people at the beauty shops just do too much. Show her yourself, that way she knows whats allowed & what isn't. Also make it a girly day. Take her to buy her some...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I wasn't allowed until I was 16 and haven't quite decided when my girls will be allowed but I'm thinking their first High School dance. I will be showing them how to put it on and trying to make sure they keep it all as natural as they can and avoiding the butter knife make up thing. as for shaving, as soon as my girls start their period we'll start the saving.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I sd is 13 and wants to wear makeup just bc everyone else is...shes in the 7th grade...i tell her no not until she needs makeup..she does not have acne or anything else to cover up so why not show her bare skin..she has nothing for sale and is not looking for a boyfriend so i dont plan on letting her use it at least until next year..i plan on starting with her next summer that way she has the whole summer to practice and figure out what she likes..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• At twelve, my make up options were lip gloss (never lip stick) and white or light pink eyeshadow. Which my mom showed me how to put on with the make up tip, "If you can tell you have it on, it is TOO much!".
    That being said, she slowly let me work up to wearing more, but if it was ever too dark, I got sent back in to wash it off! ; )
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• 12 - 13
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hahaha.... Well, if my husband gets his way, she won't get to wear makeup until she is grown and married to the person we pick for her.... LMAO!!!!!! But honestly I would probably say 14..... maybe..... :D
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 9:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think at 12 or 13 lipgloss and mascara is ok. When it comes to more I would have her shown how to do it properly. Young girls tend to go overboard with the idea that more is better.
    SUSAN81900

Answer by SUSAN81900 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My DD is 10 (11 in a few days). If we go shopping, out to dinner, etc. I will let her wear a really light lip gloss and light eyeshadow (you can't really see it). I won't let her wear "real" makeup until she is 13. There are kids in her class (5th grade) that are wearing full-face makeup, I just don't think that's appropriate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• depends on the makeup. I will let my 5 year old, wear a powder that matches her so closesly you can't even tell she is wearing it, same for blush and eye shadow, clear mascara, and a light (pink tinted) lipstick or lipgloss. Nothing that you can really tell she is wearing.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 9:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010