Have you ever been to a big book signing for a really popular author (or something along those lines)?

If so, how was it managed? What worked and didn't work, from the customer's standpoint? What would you have done differently?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 9:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Entertainment

• I've been in line for signing for books, autographs, waiting for a box office to open, or waiting for the early bird specials to start the day after Thanksgiving :>)

It generally works best if the place where it is being held has stanchions set up to keep the line relatively straight, and to prevent people from cutting in. It is also good if they have security that watches for cutters, and enforces the rules. People get really ticked off when people cut in front of them, or if one person 'holds the spot' but there are really several other people with them.

What would I do differently? Nowadays I would take a small folding stool, easily movable, to sit on. Also bring a book (if it's not a book signing) to read while waiting to make the time go faster.. Also if you know you're going to be waiting outdoors, make sure you're dressed appropriately for the weather, Also bring a camera if you're meeting someone famous!
    ahhmericanwoman

Answer by ahhmericanwoman at 9:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have at Barnes and Noble it was very well planned. Everyone lined up then someone came through and asked what you wanted written in the book then they would write it down on a sticky note and put it there for the author to see. I really didnt see anything that needed to be changed it did take along time in line but thats because so many people showed up. The author was Dr Laura.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Two of them, one for an astronaut that walked on the moon, the other for Anna Geddes. I enjoyed both of them for different reasons. Anne Geddes was just fun and the Astronaut was very talkative and friendly. He signed his book for my dd, made it very special. I learned that if the author uses your full name they hope that you are not there to sell the signed book.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• havn't gone to a book signing yet- but will in November. Kat Von D will be here for one and my daughter and I are planning to go
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My aunt writes books. Many have been on the New York Times Best Seller lists. I went to her signing the other day.

It went well....they had her a designated place to sit.....the fans/customers lined up nicely.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have several times, for Jim Beaver's book, "Life's That Way".

The first was my personal copy at the LA Times Book Fair and Jim just signed it w/ whatever you asked and talked to each person.

Amber Benson was there signing her books and she used the same set-up. The line got long, but it worked out.

The second time was at B&N and they had someone go down the line w/ post-its to write everyone's names on the books. Of course, he recognized me that time from the previous signing and joked about me being a "crazy idjit" to keep coming back. But I was auctioning the books for the American Cancer Society (his wife died of Stage 4 lung cancer), so he told me he was proud and honored to sign the extra copies for me.

I think how well things work depend on the patience of everyone involved. All it takes is one "juice bag" (as my friends and I say....) to make it a rotten experience.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010