My daughter is swatting at total strangers!! (Reposted to add more details)

My dd has recently begun swatting at total strangers, and it's embarrassing me to death. She isn't trying to hurt them...she is just playing a bit too rough (and aggressively). Her daddy tends to play with her like that, and although I've told him countless times to please stop teaching her to hit, he doesn't see what the big deal is. He doesn't live with us, so he doesn't have to deal with her behavior on a daily basis like I do. When she gets to be too aggressive towards HIM, and he gets tired of it, he can just go home.

This past week, I took her to meet my family for the first time, and the whole week, she was swatting at her THEM!! I kept telling her to touch nicely, etc, but it didn't seem to help. I'm sure my family thinks my daughter is a ginormous BRAT, but she really isn't! :-( She justs wants to play.

How do I deal with this? She is 26 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Really normal for this age, so don't stress about it or over think it!

Just keep telling her no and to use gentle touch, in time she will re-grasp the concept also try not to make it a super big deal, some of it may be to get a reaction so keep yourself cal when you are talking to her.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just continue to teach her not to do it. They have to learn what not to do and what is appropriate. Be consistent in teaching her it is not okay to hit and she will learn.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 9:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would just continue to tell her that she does not need to hit. And that if she does hit, people are not going to want to play with her.
    I would also begin working on, "I know your Daddy likes to play like that. But, no one else does. So, you can play like that, but ONLY with Daddy!"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'd have the father try to retrain her into not hitting. What's up with him that he thinks this is acceptable and won't back you up with not playing rough and hitting. I bet she's a sweet little girl and I blame him for her actions......good luck hon, but talk to him firmly. Smack him if you have to.....lol

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010