How can I get my son comfortable on his tummy?

My almost 6 month old son constantly rolls to his tummy at night while he's sleeping. I am fine with that, but he seems to be uncomfortable once he gets there. He will wake up fussing and lifting his head. I go into his room, put the paci in his mouth, and sometimes he will calm down and go to sleep. Other times he gets restless again. Then, I go back in there and roll him to his back. He will almost immediately roll back to his belly and become restless again. It's a viscous cycle!

OTZMom

Asked by OTZMom at 9:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds like something he needs to work out for himself. Let him fuss until he gets used to it.
    BTW, once a child can role over and lift his head, any position he chooses is normal and safe.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 11:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It's recommended that babies sleep on their back until they are 12 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would have looked in saw that he was ok and let him fuss a few minutes. If he can't work it out then of course help him but sometimes they gotta learn how to cope with it as hard as it is for the parents. My husband is better at letting them fuss then me. I'm right outside their room wanting to go in and help. In the long run it helps them out
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My one twin did this CONSTANTLY! It was mostly when he first learned how to roll over that direction, he would have trouble getting back over without a lot of effort (a half asleep baby doesnt want to exert a lot of effort to get comfortable)... I went through the same thing at night for about 3 weeks until he more easily flipped himself over, now he just wiggles all over the crib (often disturbing his brother lol). It'll pass
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter HATED tummy time. Would scream and cry cause she hated being on her tummy. It was a miracle when I bought a boppy pillow and laid her upper body on it, took pressure of her tummy and just made it more comfortable. Now she is 5 months old and hasn't needed it for a couple of months now cause she LOVES tummy time, will play with her toys, roll over and try to crawl. I say get a boppy pillow and try that, if you can't afford that, just use a rolled up blanket or towel, same affect. She also use to roll over to her belly and freak out and scream, and I rolled her back over. She didn't stop doing that till she learned to roll back onto her back. Be patient, she will learn!! Good luck!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 3:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010