How does the staff dress at your child's school?

My dd is in kindergarten and I've noticed that while some staff such as the principal wear professional attire most wear blue jeans or casual capri pants and flip flops (which the kids are not allowed to wear). I'm just curious if this is a new trend in schools because when I was in school teachers were required to dress professionally.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 9:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in

• The Principal dresses in designer clothes and has a new hairstyle every year. The teachers dress is varied, not what I would expect very casual like what you would wear to work in your yard or garden. My biggest gripe is the flip flops that they wear are not very safe.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Octobers mom...how am I yelling at you?

You asked for an opinion, I gave you one from a teacher. Sorry you dislike it so much.

Students rules are there for STUDENTS. Teachers have their own set of guidelines. There are reasons for rules. Usually kids are not allowed to wear flip flops b/c of playtime. They can not run and play appropriately in them. Teachers rarely run at playtime.

Yes, I get annoyed when people focus on things that are irrelevant from their kids education. Such as what shoes the teacher has on.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You are rude and disrespectful so I hope you are conveying that to your children as you are their role models. When you ask a question you seek a response right??? Oh crap I used to many question marks..does that confuse you.

Next time I am working on my dissertation here on CM I will try to avoid using them so as not to confuse those who expect essay's on the internet.

I would much rather have a teacher who spent extra time preparing for a lesson than working on their wardrobe.

Seriously you are taking this way beyond reason. You must be a peach.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Respectable.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My dd is in pre-school and the teaches wear shirts with the school logos, kahki pants or pantsor capris and sneakers
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 9:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Most of the teachers (main teachers and specials like music and art) I've seen wear dresses, skirts or a nice top and pants. The secretary and principal wear khakis or other pants (not jeans) and a polo type school shirt (Tigers in our case). Ive also seen the principal dress up though. In our school district, kids are allowed to wear flip-flops.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Most of the teachers at my son's school dress in what I would call "dressy casual". But I don't think I have ever seen any of them in flip flops! Tennis shoes, yes, flip flops, nope.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Business causal is popular, but I've also seen the teachers in dresses & suits. The principal & asst. principal are always in suits and the secretaries always wear dresses/skirts, as does the social worker. The therapists tend to dress down more, but their days are physically demanding & I can understand the need for comfort.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• honestly other than the office staff at all 3 of my kids schools (yes they attend 3 different schools) most of the staff is casual and i think it makes for better teaching if they can get down and dirt with the kids so i am all for it...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Teacher here: Who cares what they wear as long as they are covered appropriately, and clean! Do you want them to worry about their attire or worry about the right and best way to teach your children! I have said for YEARS that Kindergarten...possibly first grade teachers should be allowed to wear scrubs....b/c they are constantly squatting to help a child, sitting on the floor...painting...etc.
    If that is your only concern about your kids teachers, count yourself lucky!

First, no it is NOT my only concern.

Second, the kindergarten teacher dresses appropriately.

Third, how are they teaching them appropriately if they are not following the rules of the school themselves? The kids CANNOT wear flop flops yet the teachers can? How is that teaching them to respect the rules?

Fourth, I was only asking if this is normal. You seem bitter over something but that is not my fault so please so stop yelling at me.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2010