Mothers with diabetes - How much did your baby weigh?

Hi all, I'm pregnant with my second child and have Type 1 diabetes. I had it very under control with my last pregnancy and my son came out weighing a wonderful 7lb 12oz.

This time around I have been told that my daughter (yes its a girl hehe) is going to be alot heavier than my firstborn. I'm 34wks+ and already she weighs around 5lb 5oz. Which to me - (as I'm not used to higher weight) sounds quite big to me.

Does this sound normal? And did your babies abdominal circumference turn out ok? Thanks in advance ;)

CallumsMum

Asked by CallumsMum at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• If your blood sugars are under very good control, then your baby should be fairly normal size. Babies only gain typically 1/2 lb a week during the last few weeks, so she'll be very normal size.

I've had 4 diabetic pregnancies and was only able to control my blood sugars with one of those. That baby was 7 lbs. 10 oz, the rest were 10 lb. 4 oz, 9 lb. 15 oz., and 9 lb 8 1/2 oz.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• That doesn't sound that big to me...if you really work at taking care of yourself over the next few weeks you should be ok. They told me my son was going to be huge and he was 7lbs 06oz. Just really try to follow the nutrition recommendations your doctor made, and don't get too stressed out.
    templeghost

Answer by templeghost at 11:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My docs never estimated my babys weight before birth. I had gest diabetes with both pregs and my first weighed 8 lbs 8 oz he was born at 38 weeks and my second son born at 38 weeks also weighed 11 lbs 8 oz!!! Never heard anything about abdominal circumference...sorry I cant help more.
    cynthianc

Answer by cynthianc at 1:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008