need help with feeding my 2yr old son.

hi,
i have a son who hasnt been eating alot lately, well almost nothing through out the whole day, but he is a drinking liquids like crazy, hell only drink milk, juice, v8, water and other liquids, i been trying to feed him some food because he recently got a lab work done and he had a low blood count and they told me feed him more meats and anything with iron, but he just wont touch meat at all among solid food, he would just spit it out, tried so many techniques already and about to give up, totally-stresser for me and family. has anyone have been through this or am i the only one ... any suggestion would be helpful please. thank you!

Mamma_Love

Asked by Mamma_Love at 4:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is difficult with meat as well. My daughter's favorite to snack on is Cheerios and her milk in a sippy

Here are some foods : Baked beans 1/2 cup provides 2.0 mg of iron, Bread, white 2 slices provides 1.4, Bread (whole wheat 2 slices) 1.7, Broccoli, cooked 1/2 cup 0.6, Macaroni 1 cup 1.9, Raisins 1/4 cup 1.0, and various Breakfast Cereals

Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
    Children Iron (mg/day)
    7–12 months 11
    1–3 years 7
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 7:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Oh and when all else fails a spoonfull of peanut butter is recommended by pediatricians to give them extra nutrients.
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 8:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Sounds like my little guy! Hes almost 2, and doesnt care too much for meats either. I just try to get him to eat as many fruits and veggies as i can. If it were up to him, he would just as soon drink milk all day every day.......but all I can say is that he will go through eating spurts, when he'll want everything in sight, and then he'll go through this stage of not wanting to eat anything. Try not to get frustrated, and just try to give him as many fruits and veggies as you can. Since the doctor recommended to increase his iron intake, I would really try some broccoli or asparagus. Good Luck!
    mama_mcneal

Answer by mama_mcneal at 9:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• WOW.... I as well just took my son to the doctor cause hes been running a temp for 4 days in a row and they could not figure out what was wrong with him so we were sent to the lab and come to find out hes fighting a really bad virus cause his white blood cell count was only 2.5 which is extremely low. You had also said that your sons was low to so if I were you then I would stop trying to give him food but encourage allot of fluids and piratically clear fluids. If you do try and give him foods maybe try something that is breaded like a pretzel or crackers but nothing real heavy cause he might be sick and you dont want to upset his stomach with all the other foods. Im watching my son very closely cause unlike yours he has not been drinking allot of fluids but I think were doing better as of yesterday, Im preying it only gets better. Well good luck and I hope this helped you.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Peanut butter sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try it myself. Thank you!
    notjustamom380

Answer by notjustamom380 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My son is the same way. Most days all I can get him to eat is cheese or yogurt. He just drinks milk all day long. Drives me nuts!
    hubgrunch

Answer by hubgrunch at 4:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am going through the same thing! A few bites of this and later a few bites of that. Then he gets so hungry he will shove to much in his mouth and gag then spit it up all over the floor. I started buying the nutripals. They are expensive though. Wal Mart has their brand and it's the same thing. Packed with vitamins and nutrients. So, on days he won't eat, I make sure I give him one of those.
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008