i just had my daughter on oct 7. i really ant to breast feed n hav been trying but she just wont latch on. any advice???

haileysmommy017

Asked by haileysmommy017 at 4:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes it takes a while for babies to get the hang of it. are you pumping? also, try not to give her a pacifier or anything yet as that can cause nipple confusion. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Nipple to nose, they open the mouth real wide, you can tickle their nose or cheek with your nipple, then shove it in their mouth...then if they are sucking on their lower lip you can move it out so the lips are flayed. Hope that helps. There are LLLs pretty much everywhere if you need actual physical help, they can show you what to do.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• the hospital where i had my daughter had a lactation nurse to help, but also think about what you have on your skin, cut down on perfumed soaps. lotion, etc. and what you eat is transferred to the milk, so think about that too, some foods taste better than others..lol don't give up, just relax, baby is sensitive to moms moods
    driftwood

Answer by driftwood at 4:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• some woman use nipple sheilds when they dont latch good or u can call areound and see if there is a breastfeeding woman that will come to ur house and show u and talk to u about it
    Loveinmom

Answer by Loveinmom at 5:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• im pumping every couple of hours but hardly anything comes out. the hospital gav her a paci n i asked them is that gana make it harder for her to latch on n they said no so i keep on giving her one. the hospital i had my daughter at also had a lactation nurse but everything she showed me didnt work. i hav also tried the nippple shield but my daughter wont latch on to that either. idk wat to do i really need help.
    haileysmommy017

Answer by haileysmommy017 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• you might just not be able to BF. Sorry, but if nothing is working and she isn't latching on then you might not be able to. You need to think about what is best for your baby and talk to your doctor about this and see how long he/she would wait before your child being put on formula. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Don't give up! When I nursed my daughter, it never occurred to me that I couldn't nurse her, so I just did it! There is a book on breastfeeding which is the companion book to pregnancy(I can't remember the name, but it is somewhere in the house). Anyway, it is really helpful. Maybe I'll try and google it.

Be sure to hold her close across your tummy with one arm,head at the breast, feet at your hand. Then use the free hand to tickle her cheek with your nipple. Her mouth must open wide and you can see her tongue at the bottom. Anyway, call a lactation consultant. I have no doubt that you and your sweet baby can do this! Best of luck.

Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 7:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I had to pump and feed a lot with my daughter when she was young because she wasn't sucking hard enough to get anything out and she needed premie nipples for at least a month. I had to buy a couple different pumps because some just weren't strong enough to get my milk out. I ended up buying a manual pump instead of electric because it let me control the pressure more and I was able to get a really hard suction. You might try a different pump...if you know any other nursing moms, you might as if you can try their manuals...every part of it can be sterilized, so don't worry about that. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• When i had my first child he would not latch on and they took a huge surenige with out the needle and pressed it to my boob like a suckcion cup and that made the nipple stick WAY out that way it was so easy for him to latch on,it worked very well.Good luck!
    mrsmalark

Answer by mrsmalark at 7:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't know if this helps but if you have W.I.C. they will send a lactation consultant to your home to help you.

BTW you have just open the gates of hell for BFF vs. FF, just take the information you need and ignore what doesn't apply to you.:0)

Good luck Mama!
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 8:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2008