Do you miss your kids when they're in school?

I seriously don't understand the parents who say they are glad when back to school time comes because they get hours of alone time without their kids. I miss my kids so much when they're not here and i can't waith for them to get home.

I mean are your kids that out of control and bad that you just can't wait to get rid of them in order to keep your sanity?

I hear people say they need time away from their kids in order to appreciate them more- I personally find that repulsive. I don't understand how a loving parent can WANT to be away from their children.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I like having a noisy house (grew up with 5 brothers and a sister), but I also run an in-home daycare/preschool, so that helps when my own two are at school.

I do miss them, but not so much that I'm in tears all day waiting for them to get home. But I've also never been one to say "I need them gone to appreciate them more."

I LOVE my kids more than anything and rather spend time with them than anyone else. It helps that they really enjoy school and can't wait to get up in the morning to go...makes my heart happy!!

Having said that...yes, there are also times that I need some me time...it takes a lot for me to get to that point, but it does happen and I don't find it repulsive when other moms need "me time".
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Are you someone who doesn't enjoy being alone? I enjoy my own company. I enjoy having no demands on me except those which I make of myself. It's a nice break. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy my kid's company.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't miss them. I can't wait for them to leave each morning. The house is substantially more quiet and less chaotic with the 3 of them in school. I still have 2 at home (they are 4 and 2 months). I seriously don't understand people that get so wrapped up in their kids they can't separate being a mother and being a person and every moment revolves around their kids so when they are gone the adult is completely lost. Doesn't sound healthy to me.
    I'm still a person and have my own wants and needs that don't involve my kids and I enjoy the quiet and relative peace when my kids aren't around. Gives me times to do things I want to do. I'm genuinely looking forward to the day all 5 of them are in school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, because at any one time during the day, there is still someone here. For example, my Junior (16 year old) is at school and so is my Kindergartener. When I go to pick up Kindergartener, I drop off my Senior (who is still in bed at this moment). So, then my Kindergartener is home and an hour and a half later I have to go pick up my Senior and then 45 minutes later I have to get my Junior. So it is hard to miss them when I spend the day in the car picking them up or dropping them off or running around the house screaming like a Drill Sargent to get their butts out of bed... LOL... left eye twitching...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No. I can't say I've ever missed them when they are gone for a few hours. My DH took them on vacation for 3 days and I missed them. But for a simple 8 hours - NO! I love my children, they are wonderful. But just like I don't miss my DH when he leaves for work, I don't miss my kids when they are gone for a portion of the day. In fact I enjoy the time apart. It's good for them and good for me. It gives me time to do housework, work on my blog, my website, my book, relax or just use the bathroom without having kids around me needing attention every moment. I can't wait til my kids start school and frankly have never understood parents that didn't. Your children are separate people from you, they aren't attached to you any more and it's not healthy for them to be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sorry, don't agree. I didn't stop being a person just because I became a mother. My kids have their own lives away from me (at school, with their friends). And I have my own interests that don't involve my kids.
    I'm not here to be my kids' BFFs. I'm not their friend. I'm their mother. I would go insane if I had to spend every waking moment of my life with anybody, including my kids.
    That's how I was raised. My parents did their thing and I did mine. We had dinner together (at least with my mom, my dad was working) and occasionally watched TV and played games together. But my mom did not spend every moment of her life with us, nor did I want her to as a kid. That would have drove me crazy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I miss the kids when they are at daycare, so I'm sure I will miss them when they are in school.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I miss him. But I also enjoy my alone time. It helps me recharge, get errands done, etc. I am one those moms though that does not feel the need to be with her child 24/7 all the time. He attends preschool 5days/week 9-12 and I really enjoy going to starbucks and getting a coffee, using the bathroom by myself, reading a book, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Your kids must not be teenagers yet :) My 3 are and I was so happy when school started again. Yes, I love my children to pieces and love when we're all home together in the evening. But some Monday mornings, I just can't wait to get to the peace and quiet of my office and then by Friday, I'm looking forward to the weekend with the family. Believe me, it doesn't mean I love my kids less than you do yours just because I don't mind having them out of my face for 9 hours a day. Give it time!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ceallaigh... actually, my oldest is 17. She's a decent, kind and loving girl and not your typical teen who has a smart mouth, stays out all night, is boy crazy and so on (like I happen to have been!). She's like my best friend and we have a great relationship. So, again... it seems to me like those who have children with behavioral issues are the ones who can't wait to have 'peace and quiet' without their kids.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010