Do you do your kids laundry or do you make them do their own?

My son has been sorting his laundry and putting the clean clothes away since he was 4. I do all laundry as there is just 3 of us in our family.

emerald53197

Asked by emerald53197 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My 14 year old does all her own laundry and sometimes a load of towels. My 3 year olds pick up their dirty clothes and carry them to the laundry room. They also help put things in the washer and dryer and fold wash clothes.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They are 4 and 5. They help sort, put things in the washer/dryer, take stuff out of the dryer and even put away (Except to hang....they can put clothes on the hanger, but can't reach the bar so they will put it on their bed). We do it as an activity together for the household....I think it is important for then to do stuff like that and they feel included in household chores.
    Milaya2

Answer by Milaya2 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I posted this exact question in here about 4 months ago and the ladies offered some great insight. My dd now does her own laundry, she even decorated her laundry basket with a paper sunflower and stickers all over it. Its been good, and Im glad I took the advice of my ladies here in cm,,,yes, they can do their own laundry,,wow! who knew..:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My 13 yr old collects empty hangars for me from the closets so I can put away all the laundry. Other than that I do it all myself for our family of 5.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I wish... I have shown my 16 & 17 year olds how many times.... they refuse to do it. My 5 year old sorts, loads, folds and puts away. He would do it all if he could reach the knob! LOL....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I did it all. They had to make sure it was in the hamper or I would not do it. If I had to do it over again I would teach them ealier to help with it, but I happen to like doing laundry.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'll make them do their own once they get old enough - ooh, we have a front loader now so I don't have to wait as long for them to be tall enough to put their clothes in! ahhaha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I do my son's laundry. He is responsible for making sure it gets in the hamper. IF it isn't in the hamper, it does not get washed.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I do my son's laundry. He is six and I see no need to teach him how to do laundry just yet. He can't even reach the controls! He does help rotate the laundry when I ask him, though.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Until we moved last month my older 3 kids did their own laundry. They are 10, 8 and 7 and have been doing their laundry for a year now. My 4yo folds and puts her stuff away (or is supposed to). All my kids have been folding and putting their own stuff away since they were 4.
    I was still washing me, hubby and the 4yo's clothes.
    Now we don't have a washer and dryer so I do all the laundry at the laundromat while the kids are in school and my husband is home to watch the younger kids. Sometimes I even fold for them but most of the time that's their job.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010