Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you get a child on an IEP?

I have a 5 yo & 3 yo who are in daycare. Both are severely delayed due to neglect by their parents. What is the best way to get them on an IEP so they can enroll in special needs preschool or headstart?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • have they been evaled by doctor or therapist yet
    go to doc, have referral for eval with therapists
    call school, they also have therapists who eval
    mine was in birth to three, referred by doc at 2 yrs, so my process started early on and had people in system to tell me next step
    makes some calls, start with school for 5 yr old and for 3 yr old, you could try birth to three, even though over three, resourse person should be able to stear you in right direction

    also, i fought the results of IEP, they said 2 half days, i said i wanted more, i went up to super intendendant of schools and got it changed
    you will learn quickly tht YOU are those childrens best advocate and you will have to step on people to get all of the services for your kids

    good luck, stay strong, make calls, make more calls, fill out tons of paperwork, make more calls, get on waiting list, find out your rights, fight, fight fight, and make more calls

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • also, headstart harder to get in-depends on area but also your income, but you can be on their waiting list while child is in special ed at public school, in our area head start is more hours and a $ break if you qualify, but waiting list, the public school HAS to take child after eval shows special needs, call school and ask for IEP, IF you do not get answer you like, do not take one persons answer as set in stone, you may have to go around that person
    i did, i had deadend with sepical ed director, i called the super intendant and he took care of making it 2 to 4 days

    you will learn that the paperwork and the schools are not set in stone, but it is the parent who fights the hardest that wins

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • get them evaluated by their doctor or some local school boards evaluate children...also as mentioned above head start programs deal with it so talk to your local head start program director, even if you think you mae to much they talk in children with disabilites or developmental delays. If the children are foster children or adopted they automatically qualify in my area. With head start it is a longer process so talk to them immediately

    Answer by MamaCortney at 10:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • I had my youngest son evaluated by the school by their psychologist, and then tested.
    He has been in IEP since 1st grade. I think the school can do most of the testing and evals for you and it doesn't cost anything.
    I'm not sure about how to start in daycare.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.