Is there such a thing as a baby being too big for his carrier?

My ds is nearly 14 lbs and him plus the carrier is tough to lift out of the car and walk with. Then, I see parents with children three times his size and their feet way out the ends still getting carried in their carriers. Am I just a weakling?

bosco2085

Asked by bosco2085 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The carriers do have weight restrictions, usually 20-22 lbs. They do get pretty heavy to carry though.
    deminika

Answer by deminika at 10:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I've seen some carries have weight limits listed on them... so that and your own ability to carry them would be the only thing...
    in your picture you look pretty petite so that might be why. I used to be in the army and had to be able to fireman lift grown men over my shoulder (Ok, the heaviest guy i ever carried was 180 lbs)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Lol. My daughter is one of the ones with her feet sticking out, but she's only 9months so I cant upgrade her yet. I'd say get a stroller if you can or one of the front carrier thingies.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I switched to a convertible car seat (rear facing and later forward) when my kids were about 5 months or so. They got really heavy to carry in that thing and by that time they had good head control as well. There are height and weight restrictions on them. Ours was 20 lbs which ds weighed by 7 months!
    midwestmommy574

Answer by midwestmommy574 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I switched my boys to a convertible at about 6 months. I got the Britax Boulevard....love it!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well I don't know but my kid was all weight for his carrier but too tall, I could not get the strap to buckle without having him all cramped over and afraid I would break his clavicle trying to buckle him.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Carriers have weight AND height restrictions on them. Ours is 35lbs and don't remember the height limit. The ones we had for our older kids were 20lbs and 22lbs and 26" and 29". My older 2 outgrew them by height by 4 months. My son had almost met the weight limit on his at that point, too. (he was a big baby). My other girls used theirs until they were around 6 or 7 months before they hit the height limit.
    The manual will tell you the limits.
    I don't usually life my son in his carseat. My husband takes care of that. We have a pickup and I cant even get his seat up into the truck, let alone into the base in the middle of the backseat, lol. And my son is only like 11lbs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If the feet are hanging over the end they need a new car seat. There are HEIGHT restrictions as well as weight. The height restrictions really limit how long one should use one of those carrier carseats. My DS grew out of his when he was 5 months old even though he was well under the weight restrictions.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• All carriers do have weight restrictions. But so do parental arms! I personally refused to get a carrier because I knew I'd have trouble with it. I can sling 20-30 pounds of gear over my shoulder without a blink, but I cannot carry a basket of more than about a pound or two without banging it into something!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Actually, once they are to long for the carrier it is no longer safe so all the parents letting heads stick out or feet hang off need to get a new seat! My DD was long so I got a seat that could still be rear facing and go all the way to the 80 lb booster. I wish I would of known about these seats sooner, I would of used it the whole time! It can recline for newborns, you just can't take it out like an infant carrier but DD never liked being stuck in one anyway!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010