How have you handled being an empty nester?

I have not handled it well at all....I miss my kids terribly when they're not here!!

jillybean4

Asked by jillybean4 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Find something to occupy your time on so it diminishes the hurt, it will get better, I promise, it did for me. You are entering a new phase in your life embrace it!

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!

My only has left home, moved across the country for college. And I am loving it!! Just as he is starting a new phase and journey in life. So am I. My husband and I thought we had a lot of "freedom" once our son had become a teenager..oh nay nay... that was nothing compared to having an empty nest.. lol

I'm taking full advantage of this time. When we were younger before we had a child, we both worked (my husband worked & went to school).. I kept working until my son was 10. From 10 to18, I've been a SAHM..Now, this time is all about me and husband. I have no intention of going back to work so that I get to focus on me and him. That's it. And I'm enjoying it like crazy. My husband and I have been having the best time!!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i dont think you ever get over, i still miss myt kids, now 32 and 27. i have periods where i wonder back in my mind and think about things that happened, things they did or said when they were growing up! it soooo hard, but your kids will never get it until their own move on! good luck, just keep your memories, they will get you through!
    greenhomebelle

Answer by greenhomebelle at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks to all of you for your great comments and advice. I know that you raise your kids to get out there on their own and be successful and mine are doing a great job of that!! I am so proud of both of them. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to not being a full time mom anymore. I have loved every second of it. I am going to school now and working part time and I love all those things too, but just not the same as running with my boys!!
    jillybean4

Comment by jillybean4 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've got 5 yrs before my youngest goes off to college, but I've always had the attitude that when My children are out of the house, happy, successful, and standing on their own - I've done my job right and its now beyond time for my husband and I to have more of OUR time!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I was an empty nester for 5 mos. & really liked it a lot! I did not hear huge noises (radio, phone calls, etc) when I was trying to sleep. Yes, I missed her, but she is very difficult. She is back now.
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I am loving it. All of my kiddos have left the nest and hubby and I are enjoying our couple time. We do have a son coming back for a brief time (he's getting out of the Army and needs a place to stay while he gets a few things taken care of) and quite honestly I have mixed emotions because I have enjoyed the past month of just having it be hubby and I. Hopefully he'll be in his own place by the end of the year and we'll have our empty nest back!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I went back to college to keep me busy. I think the farther you get from the time they leave, the less you want any kind of caretaking responsibility.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have 3 children and all of them have moved out. It was hard at first. I keep myself busy. I did a myspace to keep in contact with then. that way they can send me pictires of themseves
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Time to do all those things you've always wanted to but didn't have time. I still miss my kids, 33,31,29. I have 2 dogs now that I walk and play with.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 2:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010