Should the government ban smoking outside?

New York City is thinking about banning smoking in parks and other public places.

Do you think this is a good idea? Should the government be allowed to make such a law? Will it hurt the economy if other cities do the same thing?

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 10:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The government has their nose in too much. It should be put to the voters not an elite group of idiots to decide.
    emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If they ban smoking outside, the only place people can smoke is pretty much on their own property. I understand banning inside, but why outside? Its not going to make people quit. Just piss them off. I dont smoke, but Im not gonna tell other people where they can and can not smoke. Except in my house of course ha
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Personally I think its a good idea but I can see the huge uproar from smokers if they do. I was walking with my infant son down Michigan Ave. in Chicago, and every single building had a least 5 people smoking right in front of it. I had no choice but to walk through all the smoke because obviously I'm not going to go in the road. Its hard to be smoking in an area that is not affecting anyone else at all. Even outside you can still smell the smoke. What the government NEEDS to do, is to ban the production of cigarettes period. A product so dangerous, addictive, and damaging to one's health, should not be on the market anymore.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Smokers need to be respectful of others and no one would be crying out for insane laws to prohibt where they smoke. Around here smokers will light up right in front of the mall and doors to businesses. So in a few months it will be against the law. All they had to do was be respectful of others who don't want smoke filled lungs there would be no bans.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Might as well..they banned smoking everywhere else.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think they should. The government is slowly taking away all of our rights. What's next???
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 11:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think so.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They should. Most places already do so.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 11:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I understand what all of you are saying, but as a smoker, I say no. I myself AM respectful of others espically when kids are around. I only smoke outside if no one is near me.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The gov't is going to ban and regulate us into a revolution.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010