If you did not exercise for a while, then started back.....

what was your motivation and how did you start? I am desperate to lose some weight, and will do well for awhile, then lose my motivation..... Mine is that I have to stop getting so discouraged so easily....

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• You can work out while you grocery shop! Tighten your belly muscles and hold for 3 seconds, release for 3... do at least 20...
    Work your calves by using the walls of your house to stretch them, stop for a quick minute stretch, put your toes up on the wall, heel still on the ground and lean into the wall. Do each foot once, each for 30 seconds.
    Work your arms in the shower, wash your body 2x. Use one hand for the whole process than switch to the other.

Along with portion control and working out at least 20 min a day, 3 days a week you will tone, feel better and get your drive to work out back.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I can totally understand getting discouraged when you first start exercising again after not for a long time. I started off with easy stuff after I had my twin boys... things like mommy & baby yoga (which is enjoyable for everyone), light pilates, and just walking with my husband (& a double stroller haha). I've also modified my diet greatly, by doing cleanses & things of that nature, I've lost 80lbs since I had them :) I'd still like to lose another 40.
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 11:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I go through the same. But since I have gained even more know ( I weight 6 pounds more than my tall husband) I am at least walking around the neighborhood for a mile everyday. I have not seen any changes in a month yet but I don't get as tired as I used to just playing with my son.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 11:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm starting over right now - AGAIN! It seems life just gets too busy and working out takes a back seat to everything else. When I am in the groove I use sparkpeople.com . Its a free online site where you can track your nutrition and fitness. It helps me to stay on track. Look into it. You might like it!! :) Good luck and you might just stay with it when you have to be accountable for what you eat and do!
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 11:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm going to start working out again as soon as this baby is born... I can't stand being so out of breath all the time... that's my motivation
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I was using LiveStrong.com for a while, and that made me feel good (or bad) depending on the day, but then, just like with everything else, I quit using it..... With everything that is so important in my life, it seems that my health sometimes take a backseat.... My daughter, my hubby, and my job sometimes don't leave much time.... (or I don't make enough time)...... Its got to change though!!! :D
    AdoptingMyChild

Comment by AdoptingMyChild (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I believe the same thing you do - family/work first then it's always us last! But I have to keep reminding myself that the family is not going to run real smoothly if I am not feeling good. If I keep reminding myself of that, it seems I find some time somewhere in my day. I strongly encourage you to try the sparkpeople.com . I set up a 15 min strength training program there. I figured I can find 15 min somewhere in my day. Most of the time you can do it while at work or home and squeeze it in. After you put in the program you can even print it out as a reminder and take it to work with you. When I did work - I walked on my break which used to be 15 min. It was better than nothing!
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 11:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2010