Has an ultrasound ever been wrong for you in telling you the sex of your baby?

Just the other day my mom was talking to a friend who had just had a grand baby and the woman was telling my mother that the ultrasound said it was a girl and when "she" was born it was a boy. Has this ever happened to anyone? and how long ago. I thought with the technology now they wouldn't mess up because you can see so clearly. They told me I had a girl the first time and it was a girl, they just told me it was a girl again... maybe they could be wrong ; ) Wishful thinking I think, but we shall see.
the poor girl had to have someone go out and get the baby something to wear to bring him home in. They didn't feel right sending him home in PINK. I think I brought something yellow to the hospital but everything I owned besides that one thing was pink.

cloverlover24

Asked by cloverlover24 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well, unless you only get one ultrasound early on then they're usually pretty accurate. The US technician almost ALWAYS told us it wasn't a 100% sure thing though, they usually told us they were PRETTY sure but no one can be 100% sure on an ultrasound. For my 2 girls it wasn't as obvious as for my son but they were still PRETTY sure :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I had my oldest in 1997 and she could tell at 14 weeks he was a boy. I have never had one wrong. But a small penis or a swollen vulva can be mistaken for the opposite sex on an off day. Usually they find out for sure when you have a third trimester ultrasound.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have had two babies...one boy and one girl. They were both correct! This time they have told me girl again :) I have had 3 ultrasounds and two different techs tell me girl. I HOPE they are right!! LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• no mine were both right, but I was waiting in the waiting room for an ultrasound, and one of the couples came out, and where calling their family telling them that they had gotten the wrong sex, if they hadnt gotten a second ultrasound then they wouldnt have known, the ultrasound tech said that it is more common to mistake a girl for a boy, because sometimes the boy can hide it, and then it looks like a girl. I think its like 99% accurate or something.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine have all been right, two boys and a girl. But my friend was told 3 times, 3 different ultrasounds, 3 different techs that she was having a girl and it was a boy. Luckily they already had a boy so they had clothes and everything. She is now pregnant again and isn't bothering to find out. I think after that I wouldn't believe them anyway.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh, wanted to add, my friend's little boy is now 3, so it wasn't that long ago.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine were both correct, but they will tell you that it's not 100% accurate. Too early and things can be mistaken (mostly for a penis that hasn't fully developed yet being seen wrong as labia), and too late in the game and things get too crowded to really be able to see too well, which is why they say that between 18 and 24 weeks are the most accurate times.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• In '07 I was preggo with my twins. The ultrasound tech in FL told me about 17 weeks that one was definitely a boy. She couldn't get a look at the other baby. When we moved to CA and had my first ultrasound here at I think 22 weeks or so the lady was like "Nope its both girls" she showed me the girly parts and everything. If your worried at your next ultrasound if you have one ask the tech WHY they say it's a girl, they should be able to point out specific things.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Not for me. I wait till baby is born to find out the sex. But both my SIL's had it happen to them. One was 7 yrs ago. She as told a boy and they had a girl. Other was 3 yrs old. told a boy and they had a girl.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• With my son they said it was a boy on 2 ultrasounds and on the third trimester one it was obvious he was a boy. For this one, i've had 2 techs and my doctor say its a girl. one tech said 90% sure its a girl the other 85% sure and the doc just said it looks like a girl. i never got 100%.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010