5 year old bedwetting

I have a 5 yo who only wets the bed when he DOESN'T wear a pullup to bed. He has developed the habit of wearing them to bed because his older brother (7 and still wets at night) does. He NEVER wets when he wears the pullup. But if he forgets to put one on at bedtime he wets. He will go weeks, even months without wetting and then the one night he doesn't put on the pullup he wets. This is very frustrating! Should I just not let him wear the pullups at all and deal with the wet bed until he stops? or keep letting him wear the pullups?

I've had two kids who regularly we the bed. One girl who would occasionally wet until she was 11 and then the boy who is 7 and still wets sometimes. None of the other kids have had bedwetting problems, and I have 8.

joyful_mama

Asked by joyful_mama at 11:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My two (5 and 7) still wet the bed...I did until I was 14. Mine are both VERY heavy sleepers and I don't see an end in sight.

If this happening to your DS, I would just let him wear underwear to bed for a week and see how he does. You may have to change the sheets every night, but just try it.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My brother had that issue till he was....well older he is a heavy sleeper so we didnt know how to stop him...However, yours seems to only do it certain times he feels a security with the pull up but without it he just goes cuz his body is scared. You may need to take him to a doctor or something to figure out what you can do.
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It could be genetic. How long did you or your husband wet the bed? My daughter is 9 and still is in pull ups. I wet the bed until I was 12. I probably would have been in pull ups if they existed during my adolescence. I have taken my daughter to the doctor and nothing worked so I am just going to let her grow out of it. She's the only one with bedwetting problems too. It is frustrating, but also remember punishment, berating your kids, etc won't work either if it's genetic. Just be assured they won't be in a pull up on their wedding night (at least we hope).
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Neither my husband or I ever wet the bed as kids. I had a cousin who wet until she was at least 12. I remember my grandmother and some other family members berating her for it. I always felt bad for her. I have never made it an issue. And never tried to make them feel bad about it. It is just one of those things. I mean nobody wants to wake up in a stinky wet bed and clothes!
    joyful_mama

Comment by joyful_mama (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Let him wear the pull up. My son was a bed wetter until 14!! Finally, he stopped. It's tough to deal with, good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Ah, dont know. Good Luck!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010