How do I approach my parents about working in their business?

My parents own rental property. They have 19 units in one area and they just bought another condo to add to their rental property and they are out looking for more right now. My dad does all the repairs and my mom does all the paperwork and rent collecting. However, she also works a full time job and in the past their rental business has prevented them from leaving on vacation at a certain time or from being able to go out on Friday night because they are collecting rent that night. I would love to be able to learn more about the business especially since it will be inherited to me (hopeful several, several, several years from now) or if they do sell it before then, I would like to own rental property of my own one day. Cont....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would really like to have a job with my parent's business by helping with collecting rent, meeting with potential renters, cleaning up the units when people leave, and doing the bookwork. How do I approach them about this?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just ask them. Tell them what you just said here about you think it would be interesting to learn all about what they do, and how you think it would be helpful to have someone else in on it so they could go out once in awhile or on vacation every now and then. The worst they can do is say no.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Do you have a good relationship with them? If so, I would just come right out and ask...especially if you have suggestions/ideas on how to make it work!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would think they are your parents..just tell them exactly what you just wrote...
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If you are hestiant at all try to phrase it like, "Would you consider letting me learn the business? I'd love to help with............ and I can do ..........to help", etc. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• with Trust ,
    give them some ideas as an highly affective person; and they'll see that ur interesting to help growin there business , after you can discuss with them about integrate a team
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Maybe they are waiting for the right time to ask you to come on board. But any way just sit them down when they have a chance and tell them that you are ready to learn more about the business and would like to work with them. It will not hurt to ask!!!
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 11:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just sit down with them and tell them you would love to help out so that they can do on vacation and do the things they would like to do.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just explain you want to learn more about it and offer to do the not so fun jobs first like cleaning up the units after someone moves out.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yes being part of your parents company makes it even more a family company and lots of people like that. they know its owned my a personal family.
    momof042010

Answer by momof042010 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010