Prayer vs. God's will

Struggling with prayer here. If we pray and ask for something, isn't God going to do whatever he wants anyway because it is HIS will? Can we change God's mind with prayer? I know we can receive guidance and understanding through prayer as well, but just having really rough time understanding. It is like if lots of people pray for a person to survive a surgery and the person dies... did it matter that they prayed for the person to live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• well I would say that prayer is good. for example i say God i have this interview today and am really scared. I ask lord that you be with me and also help me through it. Its almost like asking for help. Yes things are in his will be he does change some things. I hope this helps. Reading your bible will help you understand this or you can ask your pastor if your still unshure. God bless.
    momof042010

Answer by momof042010 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I hear my great gram pray all the time for specific things like someone to pull through a surgery or for someone to get over a cold. Then she always ends a prayer with something about hoping God's will be done and for understanding no matter what his will is. So I don't really have an answer, but I know my gram says she feels so much better after prayer, even if she doesn't get what she asks for. It makes her feel closer to God, and in the end, I guess prayer is about feeling closer to God.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 11:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't believe we can change God's mind with prayer. I believe that whatever He wills to be, will be, regardless of whether we ask Him or not. I also believe that He knows our hearts and desires without us having to ask, even if He doesn't alter His plans accordingly. So I don't believe in praying for things to happen or not happen. I believe in going to God for strength, patience, support, etc. Things that help us deal with things in life. Kind of like that prayer:
    "God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference. "
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Funny you should ask this, I just read about Hezekiah this morning. He was told by God he was going to die and he prayed about it and God gave him another 15 years. Of course it matters that we pray. Don't you want to have daily conversations with your children? Do you always answer yes to their requests? It is not always easy when the answer to our prayer is "No" because that is not what we want. It certainly gives me peace to know I have talked to God about something and now it is in His hands and not mine. Remember that Satan brought sin and death into this world and that is who is giving you doubts about praying. Keep it up and know that God hears the prayers of the righteous.
    catfur66

Answer by catfur66 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yes that's right , but if u see while u have been a child ( kid ) how many times did i cry ffor somthing that ur parent doesn't want to afford it to u cause its not good as much as you think ? and after u realised that it wasnt good at all , how many times did you parent punished you for your attitude ? i think this is a smal exemple for you to know how God wants to protect u for some reason, we always lean from him ,
    God has his plans dear trust on him , and what he give us will be good for sure ,
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• God doesn't violate anyone's will, not any individual's and not his own either. There are things that we can learn about the character and the nature of God by studying the Bible and by abiding in His word and walking with Him in our lives. We can learn that: God is independent, unchangeable, eternal and omnipresent. He exists as a spiritual being, having no form or dimensions, and is omniscient (all-knowing), wise, truthful, faithful, good, loving, merciful, graceful, patient, holy, at peace, righteous and just, jealous for His own honour, wrathful towards sin, perfect in every way, beautiful beyond comprehension, and is glorified through the revelation of Himself. These qualities He fully emodies all the time, unlike us, we struggle with the negatives, the evils of life. That being said, we must reach out to Him with an open, loving and repentant heart. (continued)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Jesus gives us a model of how to pray in the Lord's Prayer. He first praises God for who He is, he asks for needs to be met, asks for forgiveness and for help in doing His will. This way of praying lets God know that we trust in Him and seek Him first. Even if we don't always follow a model, He can still clearly see the motivations of our hearts. He knows when we trust in who He is and know that His will is devine. It is all a matter of trusting in that and not expecting your prayers to be answered in exactly the way you think. His divine will and his wisdom and knowledge are greater than our own. When we keep this in mind we cannot be dissapointed when He answers our prayers in unexpected ways. Here is a good bit of info that I'd like to share.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What we need to keep in mind is that God does answer ALL prayers.. It's just that sometimes his answer is no..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 12:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I do spells, which are similar in structure to prayers in that I am asking for something and sending my energy out to accomplish it. I don't have god's will or his omniscsience (knowing what will happen before it happens) to worry about as I am also an atheist. I have found that some things (like cancer, viruses, diseases, birth defects) cannot be changed once they are set in motion. A man needing heart surgery will still need the surgery. Past a certain point you can only ask for what is best for the person you are praying or doing the spell for. What spells or prayer CAN do is impart strength, make the surgery go more smoothly or easier. They can concentrate positive, healing energy to speed healing. They can prevent complications and keep a person well and prosperous. The future is always changing, but it is OUR decisions which change them--not any deity's decision.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• There are times in the Bible where God's mind was changed usually because the person reminds God of a promise. But because I know that God's will is always better than my own I always end my prays with, "Father, your will be done". I've also heard more than one story of someones family member being close to death and the person feeling the Death Angel coming down the hall of the hospital and the person praying, "No, God, please just give me a few more minutes" and the Angel would leave for a while and come back.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2010