WHEN CAN YOU GIVE YOUR BABY STAGE 2 FOODS?

I WAS ADVISED TO NOT GIVE IT TO MY 6 1/2 MONTH OLD YET BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY TEETH YET. DOES SHE REALLY NEED TEETH TO EAT IT? I THINK I REMEMBER GIVING IT TO MY OLDER DAUGHTER BEFORE SHE HAD ANY TEETH. IT'S BEEN 8 YEARS SO I CAN'T REALLY REMEMBER WELL.

myboogiewoogie

Asked by myboogiewoogie at 7:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can go up to stage 2 as soon as they have had all of the stage 1 foods without any problems. The stage 1 and 2 foods have the same consistancy, the only differences are that the stage 2 come in bigger containers and they often have combinations of flavors instead of a single food item. The 8 or so foods that they offer as stage 1 are just the first 8 you should start with. If they do ok with all of them, they should do ok with the stage 2's also.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 8:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Stage 2 is not solid. Its just thicker. I think you have to wait until 8mths. Im pretty sure it tells you right on the jar :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• SHE HAS HAD ALLOF THE STAGE ONE FOODS WITHOUT PROBLEMS. THE JAR SAYS THAT WHEN SHE CRAWLS TO GIVE IT TO HER, BUT SHE DOESN'T CRAWL, SHE SCOOTS, SITS UNASSISTED, AND IS ABLE TO GRASP THINGS WELL. i THINK SHE'S READY BUT MY MOM TOTALLY FREAKED OUT ON ME, SO NOW I AM SECOND GUESSING MYSELF.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I gave it to my little girl early bc it's basically just a bigger size. my daughter had a big appetite

kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• That sounds nuts to me. If she can handle it, give it to her. My daughter never had stage one foods and started on stage 2 at 5 months. She just couldn't tell the difference between eating and drinking with the stage one foods being so thin. When I told my daughter's pediatrician he said that was actually really common for them to skip stage 1 all together. If she's hungry or fine with stage one, give her stage 2.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I skipped stage 1 with my youngest. I did them only like the first weeks while I was deciding if she was ready to start solids (when she was about 5 1/2 months). Once I was sure she was going to eat the baby food I started buying stage 2 foods.
    By 8 1/2 months she was on all table food (wouldn't take baby food if you offered it unless it was a dessert). She was self fed, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I gave stage 2 baby food to my son at 6 mths with no teeth. It is just a little thicker that' s all. It should be just fine.
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My oldest daughter didn't get a single tooth until she was 14 months old! She could eat everything except corn on the cob and steak! Babies chew with their gums, not those front teeth anyway. Silly folks, I think it's so baby food companies can sell more food by keeping babies off table food longer!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2008