I am training my 2 year old number 1 went as easy as 123 but number 2 I cant break through have a trick you can offer

shaindy

Asked by shaindy at 5:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i haven't gotten this far yet but i was told to have them plant their feet flat on the ground (or on the stool for the big potty) and push down. about 15 mins after they eat they're supposed to have to go. my DD only #2's at night though. so idk how accurate that is. we have this grunting game though that i started. you make the most noisey grunting noises you can think of... really use those stomach muscles. we bunch up our fists in the air. the point is to get them to inadvertently to use the muscle that controls the movement. it's worked once before but that also could have been timing. we're just starting our potty training.
    MrazikMommy

Answer by MrazikMommy at 6:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Not to be argumentative, but they shouldn't have to push that hard to go poop.
    IMO, 2 is still young, and your child just may not be ready yet. But observe when he or she usually has a bowel movement (is it an hour after eating, or right before bed, etc.), and take it upon yourself to suggest pottying at that time. Teach them to "listen to their body" by noticing the signs of when they have to go (for example, my son used to hide under the table), and always be available for them when they need help. :-) Good Luck!
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 6:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My daughter had the same issue about going #2 on the "big potty" so i told her that ,all of our poop goes into the ocean to feed the fish... and that if she didnt go #2 , NEMO and all his friends would go hungry.....
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 9:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2008