What are some good questions to ask about for a rental property?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 11:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• are you looking to rent or to find a renta?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm looking to rent. I'm a little rusty on the questions to inquire about though :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If you're looking to rent, I would ask them if it's been exterminated recently, what the security deposit is, how soon you can get into it, if there's a lease, and how long is it, if you can go in and clean it, and take pictures before you move in, that way you can document anything that looks damaged, so they know you didn't do it. That's all I can think of....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You'll want to know basics, like if its well water or city water, whether its oil/electric heat, what the rules are about pets or painting/etc.

There's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Ask what is included in the rent, what untility companies are used and what the heat, gas and electric bills run a month. Ask if you can pay rent in advance or with your pay periods (ie, if you get paid weekly can you pay rent weekly). Ask if you can get money off if you do yardwork or improvements to the property (landlords like that, frees up their time). Also ask if snow plowing is included if you live in a winter climate... it can be an arm and a leg if it isn't.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What is included in the rent......utilities, etc. What is the policy for pets, trash, non family coming and staying. What is the typical wait time for problems and repairs to be taken care of. Under what circumstances is the security depoit held or returned. Can new locks be installed. Ask to have some time to read the lease before signing. Make sure all important issues are in writing. If it isn't in writing then it is not binding.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thanks Mommy2Gabrielle. That was very helpful! I wouldve never thought to ask about the yardwork, and since my df works out of state and it would be just me and our 3 small kids it would be difficult :) Paying rent isnt a problem, it could be taken care of in 1 check without breaking the bank so I'm not worried about that.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• also, if its a house or duplex, who's responsible for the yard work/maintenance. i've rented with yard maintenance being my responsibility, and other times, the landlord's.
    if the property owner decides to sell during your rental/lease, have it in writing (one good thing about a lease!) whether or not the renter is to vacate property with new owner or if the renter can finish the lease.
    what can you change on/in the property? paint a room? do you furnish the paint or does the landlord? will they subtract rent $ for the work? some will, it never hurts to ask.
    if its not cable-ready, will they provide for the hook-up/satelite/etc.?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010