Can CPS take ur kids for it beign dirty in one room?

Our basement is full of old trash that built up before we had trash service n it has old furniture that has gotten nasty in the dampness. It also has cat boxes in it n the dog has pulled the trash out the bags some. plus our dirty clothes go down there. I know it nasty but I can't clean it all myself n I don't have anynoe to help. The rest of my house ain't clean but it ain't nasty n stuff. If just need stuff put away n the floors done n stuff like that. Could CPS take my kids if they came in. Not that there is a reason I just wondered if it was that bad it dirty down there. They ain't allowed done the stairs or nothin either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's great that you try to keep the upstairs clean for your children. It makes it a more comfortable place to live for your kids and yourself. Apparently the basement is an issue. What happens if it remains that way is that mold starts to break down the walls (yikes!) and you get infested with bugs from the trash and feces(poop). Put on some gloves, just grab bags and start putting trash in there. If you just go down and really work for a half hour you will see a big difference. And that's what you do a few times a day. Maybe you can even divide the basement into sections and assign urself to get this part cleaned up by this week, etc. If you feel you can't during the day because of the kids well then just do it when they go to bed. Then you can devote an hour or so to cleaning up. If you don't have room in ur trash can well see if u can put a few bags at a time in ur neighbors trash cans. Be a good mommy. I have faith in u.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 3:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes they can take your kids for having trash like that. It does not take much to start cleaning. A little at a time would help a lot.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• if they saw the basement with old garbage down there they would in a heart beat. get it cleaned!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes they could! It is not healthy for ANY OF YOU!!!! Not trying to bash, but honey, you even said the rest of your home "aint clean but it aint nasty". You really need to take a look at your home, and take care of what you need to for your children!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It would be considered a health hazard, so I don't think they would not look too kindly on it.
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• whether the kids go down there or not, the fumes and bacteria still travels to the upper floor where you and your kids are. It can still make your kids sick. Also, if stuff is getting damp down there, you can have mold issues which compromise the entire house. You need to get it cleaned up quick!
    And to answer your question, yes, they would definitely take away your kids.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think they would be more likely to give you a time frame to get it done in and you would have to pass an inspection. If upon inspection they felt it was still a hazard I am sure they would take your kids into temporary custody. At that time YOu would most likely have to not only get it clean but maintain it as well as I am sure they would ask you to attend parenting classes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If it's dirty enough, which would usually include: rotting food, festering garbage, animal feces, piles of old furnishings that call fall/break/cause physical harm..etc....

Then yes.. Those conditions would be and are considered to be a health hazard. And children can be removed from the home.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think it could cause an issue if there is mold etc. This is a potential health problem for you and your children. Why can't you clean it yourself. Why is your house not clean? How old are you kids? Are they old enough to have chores? You need to teach them how to clean so they don't have to live in an unclean environment themselves when they are on their own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Get some contractor bags (they are huge trash bags) and clean it up!!!!! You can do anything you set your mind to! If you saw the house I'm living in when we moved in, you would know you can do it!!! We ripped out walls, carpet, doors, an entire kitchen, cabinets, walls, all just me and our 3 young sons.... When Hubby would get time off from working out of state he would do all the other stuff, but we did the shit work, and it was so worth it!!! You can do it!! Now get off your computer, and CLEAN!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010