Ok now....

I am an atheist who chooses to believe in magic, faeries, and studying Kings and Queens of the past................I am open to letting people believe in what they want.

This article is offensive though. If you want to believe in different things, don't try to claim that you are doing them in God's name.

Here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_piercing_church

I am sorry that I don't know how to make a link. I am just wondering if anyone else agrees with me on this?

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 12:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• What I am meaning, is if you do something this different, don't call it a church.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• This is an actual religion. They feel that when they modify their body, it brings them closer to God spiritually. Not to mention..if you have a leader, a group willing to follow and a place to worship, you too can have your own religion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Modern Primitive is a legitimate religious movement. A Christian-based one is a little more rare, but that doesn't make it less valid just because they meld traditional modern primitive with Christianity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am appalled at this wow I think that even though people do have different faith that they should not be treated poorly like this. I am accepting to other feelings, faith, beliefs and appearance ion every way (minus if they are but naked and putting their ass in my face) I don't mind if you are a nudist though) I believe in God and Christ. I do not force my faith on others. I just don't see how one can say that! Other people have other beliefs I mean a lot of cultures lost their identities and what not cause of the fact that the "Christians" came and forced the barbarians to change. I still get mad thinking about it though I do believe in Christ and God, I know it was wrong how they forced it upon others. Faith should some naturally not forcibly! All persons should be recognized for what they find as faith weather of not I think they are right or wrong. I mean I don't want people to discredit my faith.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• eye rollingtake the stupid ring out during school...how hard is that? like it says, they're not required to wear jewlery all the time. even jobs have standards, what if she wants to go into a profession that won't let her wear piercings or tats in public? even in the military, they have to cover their tattoos.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I heard about this on the news this morning. Sounds to me as if some smartass 20 something thought to himself, "Hey! I'll give all the other kids an excuse to get away with wearing their jewelry! AND makes tons of business doing it because if they come to Me to get it I can say they are part of MY newfound religion!"

In high school I was going to get peircings and claim religion too.... but me getting away with ebing a smart ass didn't trump wanting to graduate, so I didn't.

They are full of shit and know it, but now they're trying to back it up with more bullshit.

Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I havent gone to the link yet, but I am assuming you're referring to the california girl who wants to wear her nose ring to school and get away with it and the tattoo shop owner who "founded" this "religion".
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Ariana: "I hope they're going to stop suspending me and clear some of these absences from my record," Ariana said. "I want to get into a good college."

THEN TAKE THE NOSE RING OUT AND STOP TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING YOU KNOW YOU'RE EFFING LIEING ABOUT!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Here's the thing though, the article states the school said if it were a religion such as Islam or Hindu that they body piercing would be allowed, so why is it different for a smaller and less know religious belief? It was a tiny stud, not a huge ring(which I can see school's banning for safety issues) so how was it a distraction?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have a hard time with this. One one hand, if it is truly a religion (I only skimmed the article), then I could see her point, though, I suppose there should be something to point to the significance of the piercing. In other words, if it's the equivalent of a Catholic wearing a cross....it's fully optional and she should just take it out for the school time. This is especially true if it's part of the school dress code / code of conduct. In fact, were this a potential problem, it should have been brought up to the school before it escalated to suspensions. If this isn't in any documented rules of the school, then there is no grounds for the suspension anyway. One other factor that makes this difficult for me is this is a teenager. Teenagers have a propensity for pushing the limits...could this just be a a case of that?
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010