Has anyone tried couples therapy?

I'm building a solution-based therapy program and would like opinions on what works, what won't, what's ridiculous but true, what is BS when it comes to therapy that HELPS.
You can also privately message me! All opinions are welcome.

thegoddessofwit

Asked by thegoddessofwit at 12:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• We've never been to couples therapy. We've been married for eight years. It wasn't always easy. We were still kids when we got married. I was barely 17 and he was barely 20.

So even though I've never been to couples therapy, I will give you one of the secrets to our marriage. When we are arguing and it just feels so hard to talk through it all, we go to bed, turn off the light and just talk. It makes it easier when you don't have to look someone in the eye and don't have to see the facial expressions. And the darkness makes it easier to keep our voices down so that we don't get our signals crossed and think, "he's getting aggravated", "she's starting to yell".
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 12:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We have tried couples therapy, but the biggest thing I learned is it takes both people to participate and do the work. Therapy didn't work for us until the therapist told us she couldn't help us because my husband wasn't doing anything and that we needed to get divorced.
    After that my husband went to counseling on his own and is finally putting in some effort.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010