At what age is it okay for a child to stop taking naps?

My son is 2.5 years old, there is time when he doesnt want to nap, he'll stay up all day. I heard thats unhealthy for a 2.5 year old, SO at times i make him nap, it will take about one hour before he'll knock out, But the bad thing about it is that i have to lay down next to him, & act like if im sleeping, at times i have things to do & i cant.
Q- should i still Make my son take a nap??
Q- is it really unhealthy for him not to nap??

Thanks everyone !!

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think as long as your child is getting 10-12 hours at night you need not worry. Some children just don't require a nap during the day and then they just crash after dinner and sleep through the night. He may just have so much energy he can't sleep. He may also may be able to go 3or4 days without a nap and it could catch up and need a nap on the 5th day. All kids are different and there are some that need 3hr naps every day. I know it's nice to get that 1 or 2 hr break in the day, but maybe he could just lay down and rest, watch a show and have some relaxing time to give you a break. good luck
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on the toddler. My two where about 3. Sometimes I think they still could have used them but then they were up all night.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 12:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Every child is different. If a nap keeps him up at night, then don't make him nap. He should be getting 11-12 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When they no longer need them. Both my kids stopped taking naps in 1st grade; they still needed them but school got in the way of letting that happen!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My two boys were 2 when they gave up their naps. No harm was done.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• But then if i make him nap, its has to be for 30 min, cause with a nap he'll stay up all night. & if he doesnt then he'll go to sleep around 6 then wake up around 8 & then stays up all night.. lol... ughhhhhhh..
    yamil519

Comment by yamil519 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter is the same way. She's 2.5 and doesn't nap. When my 14 month old naps my daughter plays in her room giving me a little time for myself. If she falls asleep she does but if not it's not that big of a deal. I asked her dr the other week at her check up and she said it was fine. She gets up around 8am and can stay up until around midnight if I let her.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my son is 2.5 and still takes 1 nap a day. He is very active and needs it lol. If he doesnt want to go in his bed right away that's fine. He has toys and books in his room and he'll have some quiet playtime, then usually after a while he's in his bed asleep for a good 2-3 hours! If he doesnt take his nap he gets very cranky.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son never took naps. I would try to get him to but he would never go to sleep. But then the bedtime he gave himself is 8:30, He never makes it past that. My daughter on the other hand has to take a twenty to fourty five minute nap everyday. I'm hoping this wont be a problem when she starts first grade.
    swetlife4eva

Answer by swetlife4eva at 3:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When the child is not tired without them. All children are dfferent and they are ready at different times. They even have a small nap time at some kindergartens.
    potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 9:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010