My gs is 3 1/2 and not potty trained. He refuses to use the potty. Got any ideas>?

GiGito1SoFar

Asked by GiGito1SoFar at 12:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try rewards, clapping when he pees on the potty
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Put him in underwear, consistently take him and have him try every 15 minutes like it or not. And do this until it is routine for him. Once it is routine, up it to 30 minutes and repeat until he just goes on his own without you from pure routine. It shouldn't take long if you keep this up nonstop for like 3 or 4 days. Don't ask him or wait for him. Just say "ok, lets go try and potty."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• he might not be ready yet. sometimes boys aren't ready until4. I wouldn't push him the more you push him the more he is not going to do it.
    puzzled216

Answer by puzzled216 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Try rewards...make it fun for him to Pee Pee in the Potty !!! :) also this might be something you are against but something like letting him pee in the back yard or something..lol..i know of many people that let their sons do this.. they find it fun and funny :)
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son was almost four when he finally got the hang of it. Don't push him, he will when he is ready. We made my son a sticker board and got all kinds of stickers. You know spiderman and bob the builder, whatever he was into. And when he went he got to pick one and stick it on the board that was hanging on the bathroom door. We made a huge deal out of the stickers so he would believe that they were! Good luck! Don't stress out about it boys are always later than girls.
    TruelyCathy

Answer by TruelyCathy at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I tried desperately to pottytrain my dd. My gutt feeling told me she was ready but just a little lazy. For a few weeks she hadn't done it into her diaper. Sometimes she wou;d say something, but most of the time it was because of the routine. Breakfast (or dinner) brushing teeth, wash and put her on the toilet. Then she could play.
    So one morning I thought: "Nah, I'm not going to say anything, let's see what happens." And while I was under the shower I heard her calling from her room. I knew exactly what happened! Asked "Did you know u were going to poo? YES Do you know where the toilet is? YES That morning I was a little pissed. I put her into the bath tub, gave her lotion wipes and a garbage bin and told calmly her to clean herself up as I'm not going to do it anymore. She wasn't too happy but did it in te end. It was a MESS! I did the "fine tuning" and gave her a short icecold shower from head to toe "Because this is ....
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ... how you clean u poo from now on." After that she never did it again, a week later she was dry during the day. YEAH!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• if he still doesn't understand it, just keep taking him and praising him. Once i got through that with my son I realized he was just being lazy and didn't feel like trying, so I found something he really loved playing with EVERY day and told him he couldn't have it anymore until he went potty. I put up the toy where he could see it and reminded him a few times that he could have it after he went potty. It took him 2 or 3 days til he decided he really wanted that toy back so he went to the bathroom and did his business.
    I tried all the other rewards and stuff. Stickers worked well for a while, then he got bored...candy was fun for a while, then it got boring too.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He's probably not ready.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010