God Bless you....A question for Pagans

So a Pagan family, we do not use this term in our house as it is a Christian thing. Yes, we all use it freely as a mannerly thing. I was brought up to say it when someone sneezed, etc., But I cannot justify using it when I do not believe God will bless me just because I sneezed. I just wondered how other Pagan's felt about this innocent mannerly phrase that we all use without thinking??
As always, can we be adults and be respectful of the question and other answers..PLEASE!!!

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In our home (I am non-religious and my SO is Pagan) we simply say, "Bless you." The only time that we use the term "God" is if he is referring to dieties or I tend to use it in a flustered moment "Oh GOD!" type of thing. I don't mean it in a disrespectful manner to Christians, it is something I have said my whole life. Although I have don every good at changing that myself lately to something more along the lines of, "Oh crud". :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I believe in God and Christ.... I say Bless you not God bless you..... or kazuntight
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am not Pagan, and neither is my dh. We are simply not religious, but we just say "bless you." No God in front
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We always just said Bless You or Goodness Sakes' Bless You in our home growing up so I dont have that issue.

However, I dont think its a big deal and shouldnt be if it is something that you are just used to saying.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I grew up JW. So we were raised NEVER to say GBY. It's seen, by them, to be a Pagan practice rather than a Christian one. We were always told to say "Excuse You" or simply not say anything at all. As an adult I always hated that, I felt like it was rude not to respond. So I usually say something like "Bless You" or "Are you okay" or something like that - I just leave God out of it cause frankly, I know the history of the meaning behind that tradition and it's just asinine. The Gods have nothing to do with sneezes and sneezing doesn't open you up to evil... But I still don't want to be rude or seem uncaring, plus, I figure everyone can use a blessing from time to time.. SO, "Bless You" fits to me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We say Gesundheit--- German for "good health"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yeah, I agree. I tell my kids to respectfully say Bless you. In the house though we don't say anything!!
    Sabrina, I never heard of it being a Pagan thing before. I was always told growing up people started to say that when someone sneezes because when you sneeze your heart stops! IDK!!
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Gesundheit- I grew up in Germany for a few years so it just comes to me naturally
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• So I learned something new!...I was told growing up the Gesundheith was "God Bless You" in German. But if it just means Good Health then I will have to use that again!!!
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I usually say "Bless You", but to me, it doesn't matter. It's more an issue of manners and superstition (since it was originally said to prevent your soul from escaping when you sneezed). But then, no one said WHICH person's version of "god" has to provide the blessing... so I would feel comfortable saying it. But then, in my particular belief, ALL deities are actually The One, and allt he names are just cultural reference points, kind of like nicknames.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010