15 month old and crossed eyes....

My 15 month olds eyes cross inward, I am waiting for the doctor to call and tell me when we see the specialist, anyone dealt with this before? Do they fix it with glasses? Patching? What? How hard is it to keep glasses on a baby of that age? Any advice?

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 12:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little brother had that.. They put a patch on it for a while & then he got glasses.. It seems to have helped.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son became cross eyed at 21 months. You will have to see a pediatric opthalmologist (I hope I spelled that right). There are different things that cause it and different treatments depending on the cause. My son needed glasses. We tried patching for a little while but he wouldn't leave the patch on so then we did blurring eye drops in the good eye for a few weeks with not such a good result. We haven't patched or done drops again. He is almost 5 now. Some kids need surgery, my son never did. I believe that depends on whether it's a muscle problem or a vision problem. His is a vision problem and he was only using one eye so doing surgery on the muscles wouldn't help anything. At 22 months getting him to wear glasses was hard for about 2 weeks, we would put them on and he would take them off. Then he suddenly started leaving them alone and we have never had a problem since.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• One of the dad's at football practice said his son had surgery for his eye that was crossed and it helped. He said his son couldn't play football at first but now he is playing this year.
    flodabb

Answer by flodabb at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• And by the way, I hope you have a better experience than me, but don't be surprised if they can't get you in to see the specialist for months. The world needs some more pediatric opthalmologists because at least around here the wait is ridiculous. I'm currently waiting for my baby to be seen. I called in July, and they can't get him in until November.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It all depends on what exactly is going on. It is called strabismus and there are different types and different treatments for each type.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, I've dealt with that, I am a child of a crossed eye. Sometimes a dr. will recommend surgery. It will help. another procedure is wearing a patch on the good eye if only one crosses. It will be very hard for a baby to keep glasses on. If both eyes cross, they will probable monitor him for a while. good luck
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010