does anyone else have trouble parenting with there SO?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 12:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• YES. He is really old school and I am more flexible.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What do you mean? We disagree on certain things but that's pretty normal and it's just all about coming to an agreement.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We disagree on some things, but if someone speaks up to the other and makes it a point to say, "Hey it bothered me that you did that" we will either agree or unite as a common front and then discuss it later.

As far as our parenting styles, I am more flexible in making noise, running around, etc and he is more flexible in eat what you want, play outside till 10 pm, skip bedtimes and wear whatever all day long, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I kind of got a nice trial run with my SD. I pointed out things that he did that I didn't agree with, so we kind of molded our "skills" together with my son. If he does or says something I don't agree with, I let him know and we discuss it. He has really never had a problem with my personal choices on how to raise our son.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 12:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My husband rarely sees our son because of his work schedule. He sees him a couple hours in the afternoon before he heads back to work and then he gets home after our son has gone to bed. He only works half a day on Sundays and has Wednesdays off. So when he's home, he tends to be more of a "friend" than a dad. Which I don't really mind. I want our son to be close to him and with his schedule I know that is difficult.

What really irks me though is that the very few occasions when he does try to discipline, it kinda irritates me. Because I don't think Christian understands when his dad is completely serious. And then it just bothers me that someone else is trying to be authoritative...HAHA

I'm just weird, I guess.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 12:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Nope.

We agreed on how we were going to parent (in most aspects) before we ever decided to have a child. Those aspects in which you have to be flexible on (which there are some as a child grows up and changes) we agreed to always be a united front, always present a united front and always work together. Any disagreements we had were to be had in private, without our son's knowledge (when possible.. kids find out things all the time.. lol), and we would compromise and then address our son as a united front.

18 years of parenthood.. 25 years of marriage... 1 think I can safely say we have never really faught about is parenting/raising our son.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes. for example, my husband was throwing the ball with my daughter the other day in the house. Then yesterday she did it herself and almost knocled his xbox off the entertainment center then put her in time out for throwing the ball inside the house. I dont him he cant do that cause he leads by example and he was being a bad example. He just doesnt get it... his parents raised him with a do as I say not as I do attitude... and I was raised that way as well... but it is NOT effective and that is NOT how my children will be raised. We will lead by example and if they do something we did... I have no right to punish them, but rather to try and fix it.
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Not my S/O but my son's dad. We fight constantly about everything, and he will not compromise EVER- it really sucks!! The only good thing about it is he can have his rules at his house and I can have mine- I couldn't imagine living with him and arguing all day long.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Not really. We talk a great deal about what we want for our daughter, and we were both raised in strict families. We are more lax with our daughter, but we agree on what she can and can't get away with. There are times he will discipline her for something I don't think is such a big deal. In those instances, I either take over the situation and get her to calm down and apologize, or I will just ask him what she did that is so bad.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010