Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

what can we do/ car insurance

we have insurance on our truck. we pay it ever month on time. never had a problem with it. last night my husband was driving and got pulled over for speeding. he gave the plice officer our insurance information, but she insisted that the policy had been canceled july 2010. that was when we renewed our poliy. so, we got a ticket for not having insurance, and got our plate taken away. i know for sure that our insurance is ok, we just talked to our agent last week about adding someone onto it. is there anything we can do? i know we can go to the DMV and pay a fee, but we shouldn't have to since their is nothing wrong with our insurance.

Answer Question

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 12:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (3,357 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I would call your insurance company and explain what happened and ask what steps you need to take to get this problem rectified. They will be able to send you documents that you had currents insurance on the dates in question. Then, you will probably have to go to the PD or DMV with the documents. GL

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • My dh got pulled over and didnt have any proof of insurance (left his wallet at home), all he had to do was go to court and show his card. There has got to be a way you can prove you have been paying for insurance without paying a fee. I could be wrong though...

    Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • You need to get documentation from your insurance company proving you had insurance.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • Just ask the insurance to send you an updated card then bring it into the courthouse to show proof.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • I would call your insureance company for sure and then maybe go down to the DMV and show them prove of insureance. They may drop the whole thing. I had a friend that this happened to and he got the whole thing dropped by going down to the DMV with proof of insureance. It sounds like a mix up in the computer system.

    Answer by Robin879 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • My 'advice'- call your insurance agent, ask them to print out a statement (showing that your coverage IS current) and ask them if you can take it directly to the police and have it cleared up or wait and take it to court.

    Answer by MizLee at 1:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • I assume your DH didn't have a current insurance card with him? All you should need to do is get the updated card and show it in court. The case will be dropped then.


    Answer by KairisMama at 11:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.