I don't think he knows he's being punished

Whenever my 2 year old does something wrong he is either taken aside and reprimanded or sits in time out, but I don't think he understands either. When we talk to him he just smiles or tries to give kisses like it doesn't mean anything serious. And when he sits in time out he thinks its a game. His behavior doesn't show any sign of discipline when he does things he knows is wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you are doing it too much. Punishment should be saved for when he is really misbehaving. If he is repremanded every day, it will mean nothing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He's behaving that way in time out because he's uncomfortable. We smile at people in uncomfortable situation to ease the tension, so he's doing the same thing. Don't react to it. Time outs are time that your child should not be receiving attention. Once timeout is over, get down on his level and remind him why he was in timeout. Make him apologize, give a hug, and then let it go.
    My son is 2, and he does the same thing. He will try to get up just enough to make me go over to him. I end up holding him in a sitting position for the 2 minutes. He gives me the uncomfortable laugh.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my 21 month daughter has done that and is still doing that and the way we w\have gotten her to under stand is smack her but once really hard and then we threaten it again and if she doesn't answer to that meaning buy stopping we give her 3 times to do wrong then we give her time out and while we are punishing her we tell her that she was bad and she could get hurt event if she could not get hurt just to try to get her to think she would and would not want to do it again and sometimes that does work and we have to do it a couple of times from time to time. we only smack her but when she is really bad which is not very often the time we do is doesn't stop or listen at all and that does help some we also put her in time out when we punish her which that is usually in her play pin which is where she does not like to be so try that to.
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He is only really punished for things like hitting, throwing things at people or the dog, or repeatedly not listening for doing dangerous things like playing with the electric outlets or the oven.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• At 2...he should be fully capable of understanding what is happening. Do you give him a warning? If not, do it. Tell him NO when he does something and then say, "That is a no no. if you do it again, you will sit in time out." When he does it again, you say, "You were told to stop and that you would go to time out. you did it again and now you have to sit in time out." Sit him in it and make him stay 2 minutes, do not look at him or talk to him. When his time is done, tell him why he was there again and tell him he needs to say sorry for doing it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't think your doing anyhing wrong. How is your tone of voice when you give him a timeout. Do you say it nice and calm that he did wrong. if you do, then try and change your tone in a stern way and say NO! THAT IS NOT ALLOWED! Don't give up, 2 is a big learning age, they usually don't get it until they are 2l/2 or older. They are still learning the language and seeing what they can get away with. Hang in there. It will get better.
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have to say I think he is understand but is trying to make you feel better. If he sees that your upset with him he might just be wanting to make you smile. Keep doing what your doing...hopefully his behavior will get better for you!
    SaraB3

Answer by SaraB3 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010