When did your child learn to read. What did you use to help them?

My son is 4 turning 5 in December and I wanted to focus on reading with him soon but not sure where I want to start. What did you do for your little ones? What worked and what did not? How did you make it fun and not hard. He can recognize some words and know all the sounds the letters make but I want to make sure I get him on the proper first foot. Thanks in advance

allmomma

Asked by allmomma at 12:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is 5 and she is just learning to read.. Just introduce new words often, and eventually they will get it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I had all of my kids reading by the age of 3. I read to them every day, even while in my belly. Singing the ABC's is a great start, then trying to practice the sounds letters make at the begining of words. Kids usually start by memorizing words they are familiar with. I even taped cards all over my house, one on the door, that said door, one on the tv, that said television..and so on. Just have fun, and dont stress about it.
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We homeschooled. I had read about all the advantages to the child of learning to read on their own, no teaching. My oldest son was reading at 4. My other two sons learned to read when they were 12. What's interesting about these two is one has an IQ of 130 and the other has an IQ of 80 and doctors at a major children's hospital told me he would never read. He is now 22 and in college. You minimize the chance of children having reading problems if they learn on their own and they are usually better readers. Almost all children that live in an environment that encourages learning will learn to read on their own by age 12. If they don't learn by age 12 then you can worry about how to teach them to read. Of course this wouldn't be possible in public schools.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We took out all of the Todd Parr books at the library. We also started reading to my daughter when she was a baby. I read all the time and she loves books
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• After he knows all of his letters and sounds...you start by adding two letters together and letting him sound them out to make the sound...Like...Ba...Pa...Ca...Ta...ETC..

After he does great with this you move on(dont rush)

Do 3 letter words...Cat, Bat, Pat, Pop, Tap, ETC...

Learning to sound out letters is the key.

You dont want him simply memorizing words(like the "your baby can read") because then they are only trained to know words they have seen before. They wont be able to read a new word because they wernt taught to sound it out! My son turned 5 yesterday and is reading 3-5 letter words by sounding them out!

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My oldest was reading by 4 and in kindergarten was reading at a 4th grade level. My 4-year-old is reading Level 1 books now. I think the biggest key was reading to them as much as possible since the day they were born. Then I used the Bob Books series to help them get started, but went at their own pace with no pressure--then basically just praised and encouraged as much as possible.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I started around 4 by going to the library and getting simple picture books. I also read at night time before going to read. Little by little and over a period of years it got better and better. The library was a great help.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I read to my daughter, sound words out (easy one syllable 3 letter words to start with), use pictures with words, flash cards. Also those LeapFrog Tag reading system books are wonderful! My daughter's taken more of an interest in reading since I bought her those.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Read to them everyday
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree with read to him, teach the sounds each letter makes and how to "sound out" words.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010