Who Will Ret. General Colin L. Powell Endorse?

Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," and no one is sure what he will say.
Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and President George W. Bush’s first secretary of State.

MTM

Asked by MTM at 9:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he will stay neutral.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 10:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Obama has earned two endorsements.
    The Washington Post & The Los Angeles Times
    The L A Times announced today that it is endorsing Senator Barack Obama. It marks The Times' first endorsement in a presidential election since 1972, when it backed President Richard M. Nixon's re-election. Obama will become the first Democrat ever to receive The Times' support.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If McCain is too old to run, Powell is too old to endorse.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• MTM, those are in addition to the 17 newspaper endorsements Obama received last weekend.

As for Powell, I'm hoping he proves me wrong and does it. I just don't have the faith in him that others do.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/10/18/fineman-will-powell-endorse-obama.aspx

katykay

Answer by katykay at 10:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• REALLY, WHO CARES!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed neutral.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• WOW!!!!
    REALLY, WHO CARES!
    Americans,
    CNN has learned the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain received a check Wednesday from former Secretary of State Colin Powell, providing a symbolic boost to the Arizona Republican's struggling White House bid.

According to a review of Federal Election Commission records, Powell has not donated to any other candidate this year.

UPDATE: Powell spokeswoman Peggy Cifrino confirmed to CNN that the retired General made the contribution after learning that the senator's campaign was low on funds, though she stressed this is not a formal endorsement of the candidate.

"John is a longtime friend of General Powell's," said Cifrino. "But he has not endorsed John McCain nor any other candidate."

MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I hope I'm wrong too, but come on.....my bet is on him endorsing Barry. What does he have to lose folks by this endorsement. A donation to McCain means nothing. And as far as I am concerned, neither does his or anyone elses' "Endorsement" for President. I make my choice for President myself...and NO ONE else influences my choice. Only the candidate themselves by what they say and do. If I ignored my bills, my finances, for two years, you'd better believe I would be in some serious financial trouble. You can say all you want, blame the Bush adminstration solely for this whole financial debacle....BUT it is the dems who've controlled Congress for the past two years. Go ahead and give them the mandate to take us further down the road to Socialism if you want. I for myself will choose the check and balance system.
    gramjeanstwins

Answer by gramjeanstwins at 11:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If he were running for pres I surely would vote for him.
    barby402000

Answer by barby402000 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm voting McCain, BUT--

I think Powell's going to keep his word and stay neutral. He's earned a lot of respect for his ability to work with so many people from the various parties during his time in Washington. I firmly believe that he's going to walk the middle line as promised.

If not, that's up to him to decide. But if Powell were running, I agree with barby--he'd have my vote.
    Anonymous