Advice on teaching my left handed son to write??

My oldest was right handed like me, so that was easy, but I am having a hard time helping him, I can't seem to hold my hand write or anything! I want him to be a good writer too! I just wanted to see if there were any mommas who are right handed with any advice on teaching your left handed child to write.

Rachell9503

Asked by Rachell9503 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• http://www.handedness.org/action/leftwrite.html

This is a website that has advice on paper position, pencil grip, construction, etc.. It might be useful.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 1:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm a lefty. Just have him trace your letters or copy. Don't specifically tell him where to place the pencil. I always had great handwriting.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am a lefty and my son is a righty,it did not pose any different challenges then any other child. Don't make it sound like a handicap or
    defect!!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am a lefty and it was not a big deal for my right handed daughter, I never told her how to hold a pencil she figured that out for herself.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I can't really give you advice because my oldest son just colors but he is left hand dominant.. and i am right handed.. I was just going to say that I read an article a while back about left handed children.. It kept repeating that when teaching or helping them with writing that you shouldn't get frustrated and force them to use their right hand instead because it is easier for you.. It said that several adults were forced to use their right hand when they were left hand dominant and supposedly it created several learning disabilities that some of them have... Well, I hope that helps a little bit... Sorry I can't be more help - just passing on information I read in an article on yahoo news..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Don't they teach printing and writing in school? I am sure he will get plenty of help at school. The teachers teach left handed kids too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Let him hold the pencil or crayon how he wants to- a lot of that comes naturally with time. If you have any left handed friends they may be able to help with that part as well.
    MomsOfTwinGirls

Answer by MomsOfTwinGirls at 1:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just hand him the pencil and have him race..no big deal. You don't have to SHOW him anything about holding or position.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• *trace
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• And let him enjoy being a lefty! My father and my sons school FORCED him to be right handed even though he was lefty and it was terrible for him!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 1:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010