How did you start?

How did you start feeding baby food? My daughter is 5 months and we want to start veggies, but I don't know how much or how often? What did you do?

JaimiesMom

Asked by JaimiesMom at 9:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that gerber.com has a feeding chart and so do some other sites. My daughter is only 3 months so we haven't made it there. Good luck and have fun!!!! I can't wait.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• you should start with cereal let her be the guide start with a tablespoon once a day if she wants more she will let you know.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• yes, start with cereal and just feed a little bit from a spoon
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I have been giving her cereal, now I would like to know exactly what you did when you started veggies and fruit, this would really be helpful.
    JaimiesMom

Answer by JaimiesMom at 10:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If she can eat cereal with no problems then you can feed her any fruit. Just wait 3 days before trying a different fruit so you will be able to tell if she has an allergic reaction. My kids are much older but it seems that you were supposed to start with yellow or orange veggies then work up to the greens.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but............I just opened the jar of gerber first foods, put some in the lid (since I knew she wouldn't eat much and to not contaminate the rest) - dipped the spoon in and let her try it out. We started with squash - my dd is 5 months as well. Sometimes she eats it, sometimes not - she never eats more than an ounce at a time which is fine since really the formula and cereal is what she needs - the food is just to try and for practice eating - not her main nourishment if that makes sense. Personally, go with orange veggies first, then green then fruit - I did this with my first child - saved the fruit till last and he ate like a champ. Hope that helps?
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 11:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i tried carrots first and she got diahrea. i waited week then i tried bannanas and did that for three days, just gave her some bites here and there. she eventully got through all of them and was eating more all the time. i never had any problems with the veggies after the fruit.....actually the dr said to do bannanas first cause its easier to digest than veggies,, but everyone said she wont eat veggies if i start with fruit...they were all wrong and she ended up with diahrea.but right now it is just a learning experiance, no need to worry about how much, the formula or breast milk is what they really need.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Start with banana. Fruits are very easily digested by the body so perfect baby food.

My son started grabbing my banans and eating it aorund 5 months..so I ended up mushing some for him and giving it to him. Everytime I am eating (which is fruit) he usually has some off me or I mush it up. I started with banana, then melon, mango and so forth.

I also started making smoothies - peaches, spinach and some water...so he could get some greens.

He is 11 months old and he shares grapes with me in the morning its great :D
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• start with just one type of food at a time - so if there is a reaction of any kind you can know automatically what food not to give her in the future -
    if she is eating this first food fine for a week or 2 then start on another and do both foods for a week or 2 and keep adding until she has a wide variety of foods that are available to her.
    baby will let you know what they dont want to eat and will make sure you know what their favorites are... my dd would literally gag on sweet peas and would cry if we didnt spoon the prunes into her mouth fast enough!
    its so cute to see them finding out new things!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My doc told us to start with veggies first because they arent as sweet as the fruit. If you give them fruit first because its sweet they will want it all the time and not like veggies as much. You can just go at your LO's pace. My son was able to eat a jar the first time we started him off on them. I usually give him baby food 2 hours after he's had his bottle because he will throw it up if he eats to much right after a bottle. He still drinks 8-9 ounces 2 hours after baby food to lol
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 8:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2008