Did you ever think?

I recently got into a discussion about God making man in his image, and wondered what if his image is more "good, kind, loving, generous" than "blonde, blue eyed, with two hands, and two feet" and that sort of thing. It may be that the wording translated into "God made man in his likeness" which I guess is a more appropriate phrasing. I think it depends on which version of the good book you're reading.

I'd just never really thought of it like that. Anyone else?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are different Bible analogy's around and I think that there are some that say in his own likeness.... I am not 100% sure about that answer though so dont quote me lol
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have I ever thought this, YUP I've even brought it into discussions in this section a time or two.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• In his own likeness meaning: body, soul and spirit. We're the only creatures with those three parts. Body for obvious reasons, Soul so we can discern right from wrong and make our own choices (which even animals can do) and Spirit so we can commune with God. When you are born your Spirit is dead, only to be made alive when you receive Salvation.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I believe it means that we are spirits as God is spirit, God is not human, God is not male of female, so I believe that when the bible says we are made in God's image that it means we are more than this flesh and bone...

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I tended to always figure it meant spiritually not physically. Like good traits, openness and love,etc not...like you said, blue eyed and blonde or whatnot.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• For me it didn't matter. I didn't see my image as a woman in ANY aspect of the biblical god or the n.t. Jesus. And what's the holy spirit?? All I saw was male violence, intolerance, and mysogyny. So obviously, the biblical god didn't make ME in his physical image OR his mental and emotional image. What does a male deity know about me as a woman? What can he even UNDERSTAND about me as a woman?
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Man made God in his own image. Since the bible claims no one has seen Him, then goes on to mention a few who did, we don't know what He looks like. We do know what we look like and photoshop that onto whatever is out there if anything.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010