Lexapro vs. Effexor XR

Have you taken either (preferably both)? What do you think of them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Health

• I've taken both. I gained weight quickly on effexor xr. Effexor withdraw is HELL. I wanted to literally die. I also took lexapro. The both worked pretty well for me but i had no side effects from the lexapro, actually lost a few lbs. but the withdrawal is JUST as hellish. Same brain zaps and all. I switched successfully to citalopram for cost reasons but it's basically the same chemical make up as lexapro.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I used to take Effexor XR and the regular Effexor but they did not work. I was put on a regime of Lexapro and Wellbutrin and they seem to be working rather well. I'm only two weeks into it, but I can feel a difference. The fog is lifting.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My niece is on Lexapro and likes it. I'm on Wellbutrin and it has done wonders for me. It really comes down to the individual. I have a sister on prozac, but 10mg of prozac made me sleep for days and made me clench my jaw. You are really going to have to try what your Dr. prescribes and go from there.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have taken both, and for me both had bad side effects. I found that regular exercise actually worked better than both of them with no negative side effects.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I took Effexor XR many years ago and I remember the withdrawals. They were HELL! My OB is recommending Lexapro for PMDD, and I'm terrified of similar experience.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I never took Lexapro. However Effexor almost killed me. I was 15 when they put me on Effexor and within the first day of my first dose, my liver shut down. After that I refused to try anything else for some time. My SIL also took it and had horrid hallucinations. I've known quite a few people who have taken it and NONE of them had good experiences...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I never had a good experience with Effexor. It was worse than Paxil for me.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 2:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• MissAlsabeth I think I'm going to cry from your response. I still have occasional zaps from the effexor. I've been taking lexapro for 3 days now. :( how long did you take it, and at what dose?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• These medications can be very effective for treating mental health issues, keep in mind we are all different in how we respond to Rx's. I facilitate therapeutic support groups and work with individuals - some take Rx's and others don't. Statistic show that the most successful outcomes for patients is a combination of Rx and Therapy. Back to the med question, it is not uncommon for an Rx to take 4-6 weeks before it "kicks in". Typically, a Dr. will start off with the smallest dose, for many this may need to be increased gradually to therapeutic levels.

I know it can be very frustrating to have to wait and work through possible different Rx's or combination's, having a professional to talk with and help provide healthy coping skills and tools can prove a life saver.

Best wishes
    805Therapy.com

Answer by 805Therapy.com at 3:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010