What do i do about this?!?

ok i had to go to wal mart wednesday to get a few things. My kids went with me, and we were looking at costumes for halloween. We found a few cute things, and i told my mother in law that i found some cute things..the next day she brought a ladybug costume that she had bought and was like this is cute, she can be a ladybug. That is not what i wanted her to be, she didnt even ask me if that was what i wanted she just was like that is what she is going to be.. I mean im her mom, shouldnt i get to decide ..or am i just being a baby about this

Brittney20

Asked by Brittney20 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom is the same way and when i was a kid no one was allowed to get me anything if they didn't ask her first but now that im the mom she won't even tell me what she got them cuz she a "grandma"

My opinion she should have asked you first but she was onlky trying to help
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That was very sweet of your mom to buy her a costume but it would have been nice if she asked you what you or your daughter wanted to be for halloween.
    You should tell your mom THANK YOU! And if your mom will see your child during the holiday make sure she is wearing her ladybug costume but then just buy her something else if you must for her actual costume.

"what momma don't know, wont hurt her" WaterBoy.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Your her mom. She should have asked first!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Is your child old enough to decide for herself? Either you can take the costume back and exchange it, or say no thank-you to you MIL or you can put her in it, bring her over to your MILs sometime before halloween and get the costume you wanted for Halloween.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh, it was your MIL. ..

my original answer still stand.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• everyone in my family knows not to infringe on my halloween bc i'm fanatical about it (i'm not even christian i'm jewish, go figure) but i'd do what roadfamily6now suggested. or do costume changes like we do in my family.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yeah I agree if your child is old enough it should be the child's decision. If not then it would be up to you and if you don't want the child to be a ladybug then don't. Like someone said dress her up a few days before Halloween in her outfit and take the child over for pictures so the MIL can at least get pictures of the costume she bought. Would be nice because whether you think so or not the gesture was probably a nice one, not a slap you in the face one.
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• She thought she was helping. That's worth a thank you and since you don't seem to care that it's a lady bug then I don't see what the problem really is, other than she overstepped her bounds. If that bothers you then just thank her and tell her maybe next year you all can go together and the little one can pick out her own costume.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thank her for her gift and then take it back and get what you want. I know to others it may be trivial, but if you give an inch she will take a mile.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010