Professing faith vs exercising faith...What are your thoughts on this statement?

I think exercising faith is definitely more important. As the brother quoted in his talk, ”I can’t hear what you’re saying because what you’re doing is so loud”. This can apply the same way. To profess something is to simply to declare it, or make a statement, which could be false. But to exercise something is to take action, repeatedly. And when we physically exercise, it’s generally to improve our bodies and health; to become strong as it were. So to exercise faith, we would need to take the necessary actions repeatedly, to improve our spiritual and mental health; to become stronger in our faith

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As always it comes down to Actions speak louder than Words! If you don't live it, you shouldn't preach it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They will be known by their fruits, right? Its what you do, not what you claim to do or believe, that matters. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I like this and I agree.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i'd agree.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I like it and agree... similar to the quotation about preaching the gospel wherever you go, and using words if necessary.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well said! I do agree but I also take a slightly different view.

See to me professing is not just for others to hear but for yourself. For example, what is the first step in AA? To admit that you are an Alcohalic. To SAY it. Now how do we obtain faith? "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17) In other words, the word must be SPOKEN to hear it to obtain faith. So, you have to SAY it to get faith or to make your faith stronger to then be able to exercise it. Be patient and kind to those that constantly go around professing their "faith" eventhough they may fail in so many areas because it's often that they are the babies and need to SAY what they believe, not for you but for their own benefit, so that they may grow.

So, I guess I would say that they work hand in hand. They're both very important and actually sequential, you say/profess it then you exercise/act it out.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Sounds good to me!
    shannonGilmour

Answer by shannonGilmour at 4:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• One's talk...the other is action!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010